Quality PH meter recommendations

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm wanting to buy a QUALITY PH meter. I've went through two Apera Instruments meters in under a year. My price point is around $150. I would prefer not to buy anyone meter from Apera Instruments.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have heard good things about Bluelab

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have heard good things about Bluelab

Thank you.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Going through two pH meters within a year is kind of worrying because they should last at least 5.
Do you use saturated KCl storage solutions and do you clean them with 1% HCl overnight sometimes?
How long do you store the calibration fluids?
If those things aren't in order, it's unwise to buy new equipment because it'll last for a short time if improperly cared for.

I don't like to be the partypooper here, but I've seen a lot of people cycle through expensive pH meters because they handled them as if they weren't precision tools. Just want to make sure you're getting the best out of your investments.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've used fish tank pH test kits for fish tanks but I've never needed a pH meter/test kit for bonsai in the 12 years I've been keeping trees.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Going through two pH meters within a year is kind of worrying because they should last at least 5.
Do you use saturated KCl storage solutions and do you clean them with 1% HCl overnight sometimes?
If those things aren't in order, it's unwise to buy new equipment because it'll last for a short time if improperly cared for.

I don't like to be the partypooper here, but I've seen a lot of people cycle through expensive pH meters because they handled them as if they weren't precision tools. Just want to make sure you're getting the best out of your investments.
This. A good one needs to handled with care and stored properly to maintain calibration. You likely don’t need this unless hydroponics or reefkeeping is your thing. How bad is the water you use on your trees?

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This. A good one needs to handled with care and stored properly to maintain calibration. You likely don’t need this unless hydroponics or reefkeeping is your thing. How bad is the water you use on your trees?
I use municipal water and the ph ranges anywhere between 6.0-8.5+. The water company randomly changes water sources without notice.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Both meters were occasionally stored in KCI solution and periodically recalibrated. The problem is water seeps inside the meter through the seal on the probe. I had the same problem with both meters Apera Instruments PH 20.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hanna is reputable and their equipment always quality. I haven’t seen their lineup in some time but I trust their stuff. That’s a crazy swing. I would be interested to know how a varying water pH would affect your trees.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
From my understanding you want your pH between 6.0-7.0 for optimal nutrient uptake. A pH higher than a 7.5 starts causing nutrient deficiencies over time. I'm sure someone here could explain it in more depth and detail.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That pH is going to vary depending upon species. This would not be the range for acid loving plants like azaleas, blueberries, camellias. You can add things to your mix to give you a better ph range. I use 20% fir bark in my mix to compensate for my alkaline water. My water is consistent though not sure how yours would act.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That pH is going to vary depending upon species. This would not be the range for acid loving plants like azaleas, blueberries, camellias. You can add things to your mix to give you a better ph range. I use 20% fir bark in my mix to compensate for my alkaline water. My water is consistent though not sure how yours would act.
I use a 2-1-1 or a 1-1-1 mix of APL. I'll add in 1-½ part of Kiryu or Kanuma for acid loving species like Stewartia or Camellia. Spagnum moss is also quite acidic. My municipal water is horrible. It's so bad that the annual water quality report is practically hidden from public eyes. Thankfully my brother works in the sewer and water department of a neighboring town and has access to all that information. My eventual plan is to start collecting and storing rain water on a sufficient level.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

You can also use fertilizers for acid loving plants for example to help with pH balance

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Both meters were occasionally stored in KCI solution and periodically recalibrated. The problem is water seeps inside the meter through the seal on the probe. I had the same problem with both meters Apera Instruments PH 20.
For a waterproof pocket meter, that's just shitty design. Good to hear you took care of it! But I'd sure send an email to the producer to inform them about their product failure.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can also use fertilizers for acid loving plants for example to help with pH balance
I use Biogold or oof a long with a weekly mix of humic acid/Kelp and fish emulsion. For trees I'm trying to bulk up I use osmocote plus.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For a waterproof pocket meter, that's just shitty design. Good to hear you took care of it! But I'd sure send an email to the producer to inform them about their product failure.
That's how I got the second meter. Unfortunately it leaked like the first. I purchased a Bluelab pH meter last night. I figured it would be in my best interest to try a different brand.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good ole home made turmeric paper best for checking alkalinity. What acid do you use to adjust?

Top Bottom