Quarantine is rough, period

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quarantining imported plants is not easy. Death comes even for celebrity trees...

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why would they plant a dead tree to begin with? They could have bought an oak locally and used it as "symbolic tree".

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
The oak came from a WWI battlefield site in France. Quarantine protocols are terrible for the USA. Just look at any major EU exhibition where they have tons of imported Japanese bonsai that didn't have the soil removed, and you can see the difference not bare-rooting with pressure washers or fumigating / leaving on a dock too long can do for health. Unfortunately, we as a bonsai community do not have Sugar Lobby clout.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And the US has good reasons to do so.

We have a lot of issues here in Europe thanks to our low standards. Invasive pests are becoming a real issue. We have Asian turtles running around here in the Netherlands, we have Russian snakes, African weeds that burn your skin, and the list can go on for a few pages. On one side I'm happy with that; I own jack pines, bristlecone pines, all sorts of junipers, ponderosa pines, and a tonne of other 'invasive' species.

As for diplomacy:
Bring an acorn, give it a political twist "We plant this seed together, so that together we can grow strong. The weather cannot break us, our branches will reach for the skies, our shade will give future generations a place to contemplate. It is a way of showing that nothing beautiful ever comes from nothing, you need to start somewhere, plant a seed and nourish it. This symbolizes our relationship together. We plant a seed here with a history of both our countries, to ensure we have a future together." The people love that kind of stuff.
That would have worked a lot better than ripping out and killing what you've just planted. But then again, the news around here tells me that Trump is doing that on a daily basis. That is a neutral statement by the way, an observation at most. I'm not going down this rabbit hole by venting an opinion.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It was dug up and replanted several times....I'm surprised it made it this long.

Top Bottom