Quercus Durata (Leather oak) mame

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Picked up this cool little leather oak a few weeks back from Maruyama's in Sacramento, figure I'd start a progression thread.
IMG_0937.jpg

anybody have any clue on the potter? love the detail.
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg

Lastly there appears to be a ramification issue if anyone would be so kinda as to lend some advice... The first branch on the left and the branch moving towards the back originate from the same spot.
IMG_0938.jpg

should I remove the rear facing branch and grow out the branch emerging on the lower right of the left facing branch?

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Really cool that you’re working with Q durata. This one looks really nice with it’s aged bark. I have some I’ve been growing from acorns the last few years. They grow around the parks in my area and are perfect for bonsai with their small leaves.

It does look like those two branches coming from the same spot are causing the taper to be less than ideal. I think you have the right idea, cutting the right fork and growing out the small side branch.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These California oaks are one thing about the west coast that fills me with envy. Wish you could grow them on the east coast zone 6.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rear branch could be removed and use one higher up to fill same role by bringing downward as it grows;). Also would suggest growing bigger tree.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Really cool that you’re working with Q durata. This one looks really nice with it’s aged bark. I have some I’ve been growing from acorns the last few years. They grow around the parks in my area and are perfect for bonsai with their small leaves.

It does look like those two branches coming from the same spot are causing the taper to be less than ideal. I think you have the right idea, cutting the right fork and growing out the small side branch.
Thanks for the advice!

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The pot chop looks to be made by Rob Addonizio- Taiko-Earth.

I have a number of his pots, they are very well made..and do not come cheap.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Forgot about this thread! Repotted this last year (2021), it grew a little not much though. Still waiting for it to wake up this year but buds are swelling. Going to see how it does this year, I know oaks don’t like their roots to be messed with. If it doesn’t do much I might up-pot it next year. What do y’all think? Picture from February. 04A18744-40BA-4889-AFCD-88058BD98388.jpeg

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgot about this thread! Repotted this last year (2021), it grew a little not much though. Still waiting for it to wake up this year but buds are swelling. Going to see how it does this year, I know oaks don’t like their roots to be messed with. If it doesn’t do much I might up-pot it next year. What do y’all think? Picture from February.

I think it might benefit from a larger, training pot while you're working on development.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Retraction of earlier comment. Rearward growing branch not a problem. In time base will be grown into expanding trunk. Growing bigger tree will speed up process. Either way fortuitous branch fills important otherwise empty area;).

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Great oak species for bonsai. They have great bark and very small leaves. I need one for my collection of oaks. They grow on my property in Rescue but I haven't found a collectable one.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Retraction of earlier comment. Rearward growing branch not a problem. In time base will be grown into expanding trunk. Growing bigger tree will speed up process. Either way fortuitous branch fills important otherwise empty area;).
I agree it needs to get a little chunkier, especially the main trunk line past the initial curve.
Great oak species for bonsai. They have great bark and very small leaves. I need one for my collection of oaks. They grow on my property in Rescue but I haven't found a collectable one.
Love the bark on these! Would love to find some more. If you find some good ones and want some help/company digging some up, I’d be happy to help!
Paul- is ABAS meeting again? My work schedule got changed after the one meeting I went to (BTW thank you for your help on my pines, they're doing good!) and was unable to attended anymore then the pandemic hit.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Did a repot into a slightly bigger cheap pot for development. Glad I did, the small Rob Addonizio pot I had it in was pretty jammed packed. Only removed a few long roots that were circling but left plenty of feeder roots. C9080A38-95A4-4341-98F3-3759C5E5C873.jpeg

Reactions: n8

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
So you've given up on it being a mame?
I’m not sure, I’m going to say no because I do want to put it back into the Rob Addonizio pot once I get some more ramification. All the branches are about the same thickness above that initial bend, so it would be nice to have a more defined trunk line. Might let the top branch run for a bit for some thickness and chop it back. I tried to pick a pot that wouldn’t let the root mass get too big and plan on being conservative with fertilizer, hopefully that will keep it on the smaller size. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom