Quercus Faginea (Portuguese Oak)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Enviable tree! Nice bark. Some wire scar to grow out. Allow dead wood to deteriorate naturally as looks WAY too man made:confused:. Otherwise just time, love and time;).

That's cool, I actually have extremely little knowledge of deadwood. It's a luxury to me, it something I considered a priority to learn about. Good to know that I should just leave it and not care for it and it'll only get better lol.
I didn't realise it looked so man made? But I'm not used to deadwood so I've no eye for it yet.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This view (apart from being a nice sunny shot) backs up a decision to grow out and chop back low..

IMG_6424.JPG

The new trunk is way too straight from this view.

The old trunk and deadwood will continue to look great.

Just kinda thinking out loud.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update:

Apart from a few patches of some yellowing leaves, I think the oak is in good health, with majority of its leaves being a good green colour and good buds all over it.
(That reminds me I gotta remove the last bits of wire).

The tree had been repotted somewhat recently before purchase (maybe within 2 months) and changed homes, so I guess some signs of ill health are to be expected.

12AF4821-C897-4EBD-A19E-C3E6C93674ED.jpeg B1EED1D9-27A5-495A-99A3-D6839F565E4E.jpeg 9EB3D5AC-BEE1-42E6-9DEB-3AFA3EADBE8A.jpeg 4A9A0831-CDC2-4125-93EC-59008F768BD7.jpeg 48B428C0-6F6F-4D96-8392-825B7DE5DD26.jpeg

Some bits of wire has damaged the bark it will heal, and not on the older bark down below, so no real big deal.
Only plans for this are grow and grow. Just growth to thicken the trunk for a good number of years.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think my oak is now aware of the winter..

60A9A7FB-1D27-4BBF-A958-6081F640B113.jpeg

(Damn that pic came out badly lol! Well you can see all the browning leaves, clearly enough).

My first winter with an oak, aside from the crown rot I’ve been warned about (I’ll clean dead leaves off the crown frequently), any other particular advice?

It’s currently dipping to 3c and up to 9 in the day. The worst will probably get down to -5 maybe bit colder for us (although news says -11). I’m told this oak can withstand temps of -26c http://www.stevetolleybonsai.com/portugese-oak/

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Are these evergreen or deciduous oaks?

If the former it needs winter protection. These oaks are from a Mediterranean climate right?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wikipedia says its deciduous
Are these evergreen or deciduous oaks?

If the former it needs winter protection. These oaks are from a Mediterranean climate right?

Deciduous and semi-evergreen, which doesn’t help lol.
I know the difference between them but this is unclear.
Was hoping to catch someone with personal experience of the Faginea species. Only 1 source says they are very hardy but at same time, Portuguese would tell me it likes warmer climate..

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Deciduous and semi-evergreen, which doesn’t help lol.
I know the difference between them but this is unclear.
Was hoping to catch someone with personal experience of the Faginea species. Only 1 source says they are very hardy but at same time, Portuguese would tell me it likes warmer climate..
If the leaves are turning brown as oaks do this time of year, its going to act like a deciduous. it may act as a semi evergreen in a warmer climate. according to kaizen theyre easy to care for in our climate. i have an olive been in the ground a couple years now and it does fine out there in all conditions. doesnt get that cold here tbf, kaizen advises to keep it out of excessive wet/rain. maybe shove it up against the wall or stick it under the bench.
never heard of crown rot on oak. just keep it in full sun in summer, in a spot where it gets good airflow and rotate every 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i have chinese elms that keep all their leaves all year round on my balcony and drop their leaves when in the ground. the tree will reveal to you what it wants to be depending on climate/local temps

Reaction score
. Only 1 source says they are very hardy at same time, Portuguese would tell me it likes warmer climate..

Yes but don't be fooled by being Portuguese. This species is present in the north and higher elevations in Portugal where it's cold and snows lots of times. On the south and coastal areas there's different species of oak like Q. Suber or Q. Ilex. These are very distinct habitats.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the leaves are turning brown as oaks do this time of year, its going to act like a deciduous. it may act as a semi evergreen in a warmer climate. according to kaizen theyre easy to care for in our climate. i have an olive been in the ground a couple years now and it does fine out there in all conditions. doesnt get that cold here tbf, kaizen advises to keep it out of excessive wet/rain. maybe shove it up against the wall or stick it under the bench.
never heard of crown rot on oak. just keep it in full sun in summer, in a spot where it gets good airflow and rotate every 2-3 weeks.

Cheers Bobby.
The oaks I walk past on way to work, are dropping all their huge leaves. Cool, so it’ll act as a deciduous, good to know.
I’ll monitor weather and put it in shelter if it’s been kept wet for more than a few days.
My elms look good :). They put on a load of growth and look nice and healthy and vigourous.
No repotting this year, so should see a different kind of season with plenty of growth.

Funny, 2 of my elms have lost a good bunch of leaves on the first half of their branches but second halves are fine and have leaves. Any idea why that’d be?

Yes but don't be fooled by being Portuguese. This species is present in the north and higher elevations in Portugal where it's cold and snows lots of times. On the south and coastal areas there's different species of oak like Q. Suber or Q. Ilex. These are very distinct habitats.

Thank you, good info :).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine do that too its normal.buds will re appear there

Yeh I hoped so. Any idea why they do that? Just looks unsightly,
My maple did it too, the older leaves were a bit ravaged early on in the season. Now got big bunches of green leaves on the ends

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
time of season:)

chinese elms do can this throughout the season. most trees are looking unsightly at this stage. the maple i really dont know. its been a funny season for most folk

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
time of season:)

chinese elms do can this throughout the season. most trees are looking unsightly at this stage. the maple i really dont know. its been a funny season for most folk

Yeh one of my elms is looking ragged, the slanting one of yours which is potted alone.
The Ben and Luke, potted together are looking good as ever, really strong green and healthy.
They won’t be amazing to the typical bonsaist but in 3-4 years, those 2 elms, I’m really gonna love. I think they will look like great mini trees.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice colours. with all the wind we had, most of the brown leaves came off my oak. if you wanted to get a better look at the structure, its ok to pull off the brown leaves now.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very cool old looking oak.

Nice colours. with all the wind we had, most of the brown leaves came off my oak. if you wanted to get a better look at the structure, its ok to pull off the brown leaves now.

Yeah I had mine in an enclosure with the maple, so they were protected from wind.
I’m in no rush, I’ll wait till late winter then the real work begins...

Mostly, it’s my maple I’m looking forward to. It’s jusgement day for the maple! Had it just under 2 years and not touched it. Finally time to do something.

The oak, just gotta grow.. and keep it alive :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Firstly, apologies for these pics.. it’s been a great sunny day but now I decide I wanna post and needed pics lol.. you don’t need to see details, it’s full of green growth and as far as I can tell, quite content.
(By the way Bobby, it’s leaves stayed on the whole time.. it was a complete tree of brown leaves, quite nice to be honest! I’ve got pics somewhere..)

861C7149-F095-4FED-8C2B-0B1CA782155E.jpeg1363206C-94F5-4505-91A4-7CB52A5E9153.jpegE1F8A5C6-3E70-4285-AB88-A0536D9FE4E9.jpeg

I’ve a question... my aim is to let it grow, that’s fine, however I’m thinking to aid that and it’s health, should I perhaps thin out the leaves to allow the sun to get through to the inside? I think the point about allowing the sun inside the canopy is an uncommon tip that beginners don’t think of, so having learnt it, now I’m trying to apply it or find out when to and when not to.
Any thoughts on this? Thinning canopy on an oak to allow sun to get in.

Top Bottom