Quercus gambelii

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres my little gambel oak I started from an acorn last year. Just wanted to start a thread on it for documentation. Those lower small leaves have just started growing recently from a second flush of growth this summer.

Attachments

• 20190724_171947.jpg
    20190724_171947.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 43

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Enjoy its youth.. Several different young Oaks in personal collection: Q. garryana Oregon White Oak, Q, rubra Northern Red Oak, Q. kelloggii Cal Black Oak and new this year Q. georgiana Georgia Oak currently on 3rd flush of growth:eek:. Also one hybrid rescued from neighboring bank flower bed after surviving 2 summers without watering now with me doing much better. Believe is hybrid of Oregon White Oak and Pin Oak Q. palustris;)

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the Georgia Oak? I've got one that I transplanted from my yard into a grow box this year and one more that I plan to dig in spring. Curious to see how much leaf size reduction we can get. The leaves are huge on the full grown Q. Georgianas I've got growing on my property.
Here's a pic of mine, the box is 20"x 20" for scale.
Q. Georgiana big.png

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trunk/bark to start with. Do not have a pic yet. Patience and will try to get one:(.

nco_bons

Seed
Reaction score
Enjoy its youth.. Several different young Oaks in personal collection: Q. garryana Oregon White Oak, Q, rubra Northern Red Oak, Q. kelloggii Cal Black Oak and new this year Q. georgiana Georgia Oak currently on 3rd flush of growth:eek:. Also one hybrid rescued from neighboring bank flower bed after surviving 2 summers without watering now with me doing much better. Believe is hybrid of Oregon White Oak and Pin Oak Q. palustris;)
Have you tried air layering any oaks? I’ve got a nice gambel that has great movement about 16” up that would do great as it’s own tree

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Have you tried air layering any oaks? I’ve got a nice gambel that has great movement about 16” up that would do great as it’s own tree

In my experience they layer well. See:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oops! Completely forgot this thread. Have never bothered with layering. Was going to try with wild natural Literati(SOOOO beautiful)but was run over by bulldozer first. Totally destroyed😭🤬!

Top Bottom