Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I can't remember the name of this spider but I think she's pretty cool.
This picture has been rotated 180. She was actually hanging upside down.
That is her egg/baby sack that she is hanging on to.
A few days after this a few jillion very small baby spiders emerged.
speckledspidermail.JPG

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good Reid. That nebari is a bit funky, do you think ground layering new roots would work? I just found this Quercus Lobata at an obscure Nursery here in NM. Don’t want to hijack your your thread with my own pics so it’s right Here.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good Reid. That nebari is a bit funky, do you think ground layering new roots would work? I just found this Quercus Lobata at an obscure Nursery here in NM. Don’t want to hijack your your thread with my own pics so it’s right Here.
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t love the nebari! I’ve been wondering about what to do and I’ve started to accept it’s time to get brave and go bold.

I don’t think I can make that extra root on the left look like a decomposed hollow. I might just remove that root and suffer whatever interesting loss happens to the canopy. I’m quite sure it’s not a hugely critical supply, as it’s thickening fairly slowly.

I’m not sure how air layering would work on a garryana. I’ve been tempted to work on more of them so maybe there’s some experimentation to come 😎

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
…back to the tree

It’s looking good. I repotted it into a bowl-shaped pot of about 13" diameter. Photos to come when I can get it in the right lighting.

The soil looked good but a lot of the pore space had been filled by broken down organics. Since I know oaks to have sensitive roots I did not do much in the way of reduction, save for one coarse root.

I think I’ve caught an early, mild infestation of root aphids. See the photo. I’ve ordered some nematodes and will apply them asap.
View attachment 232621
Looking good! Are you sure its root aphids?- from the photo it looks a lot like normal symbiotic fungal mycorrhizae which is probably linked to the shrooms in your pot

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given some time roots will grow together and make bigger base for trunk if willing to be patient.

cwilhelm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great tree. I started a Gary Oak up here in Seattle a couple years ago too. Well, I started two (in successive years), but the first one I killed because they are indeed a bit sensitive about root work. My second is healthy and survived a bare rooting and repotting from a nursery drum into a grow box last spring. I only took about a third of the undesirable roots off -- I think I will approach that conservatively over several repottings. Perhaps Spring 2022 will be my next go at it.

I also have it in mind to craft a broom, although mine is currently trending more upright. In any event it needs some time to thicken up its trunk. Contrary to what people say about oaks in bonsai, I've found ol' garryana to be quick growing and extremely vigorous, at least in these climes it calls home. Maybe it's unusual in this respect? The shoots it sends out during its spurts are quite absurd -- they usually grow to 6-10" long within a couple weeks before the leaves on them even fully unfurl. Likewise I've heard people say it takes a long time for oaks to develop their craggy bark, but your images in this thread prove otherwise for this species!

In terms of habit, I've noticed mine likes to send shoots out radially from its apical node like spokes on a wheel, as well as straight up. It's pretty hideous when it does that every spring, honestly, like it's trying to cover all its bases by growing out at all the right angles possible, but easy enough to control with some selective pruning before the shoots thicken up too much. Have you noticed this on yours?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! Are you sure its root aphids?- from the photo it looks a lot like normal symbiotic fungal mycorrhizae which is probably linked to the shrooms in your pot
No, I wasn’t sure about the aphid vs mycorrhiza distinction. Up close, however, the white looked sporadic enough as to be aphids. Especially convincing to me was the white was not quite as attached to the roots as I’ve seen on other trees with good mycorrhizae.

Given some time roots will grow together and make bigger base for trunk if willing to be patient.
Agreed! I’m going to see where that takes me.

Great tree. I started a Gary Oak up here in Seattle a couple years ago too. Well, I started two (in successive years), but the first one I killed because they are indeed a bit sensitive about root work. My second is healthy and survived a bare rooting and repotting from a nursery drum into a grow box last spring. I only took about a third of the undesirable roots off -- I think I will approach that conservatively over several repottings. Perhaps Spring 2022 will be my next go at it.

I also have it in mind to craft a broom, although mine is currently trending more upright. In any event it needs some time to thicken up its trunk. Contrary to what people say about oaks in bonsai, I've found ol' garryana to be quick growing and extremely vigorous, at least in these climes it calls home. Maybe it's unusual in this respect? The shoots it sends out during its spurts are quite absurd -- they usually grow to 6-10" long within a couple weeks before the leaves on them even fully unfurl. Likewise I've heard people say it takes a long time for oaks to develop their craggy bark, but your images in this thread prove otherwise for this species!

In terms of habit, I've noticed mine likes to send shoots out radially from its apical node like spokes on a wheel, as well as straight up. It's pretty hideous when it does that every spring, honestly, like it's trying to cover all its bases by growing out at all the right angles possible, but easy enough to control with some selective pruning before the shoots thicken up too much. Have you noticed this on yours?
Awesome! Yeah, they do grow pretty quickly.

I have seen whorls of new growths here and there but I’ve generally kept it in check by pruning back to viable buds and removing the whorls.

I wonder what soil you’re using. I have a modern soil mix in this tree with particles smaller than about 1/12" filtered out. If your pot or box is large and your soil is really coarse then that could all be encouraging massive growths for you. I’ve had success on this tree by giving it some space for the roots to expand but not too much as for it to explode.

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
Did you have any damage from the ice storm earlier this year. I know the landscape trees got decimated. I have been trying to grow the garryanna for several years glad to know it can be done. Any advice on collecting. I have several on my property I would like to try

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you have any damage from the ice storm earlier this year. I know the landscape trees got decimated. I have been trying to grow the garryanna for several years glad to know it can be done. Any advice on collecting. I have several on my property I would like to try
Please add location to profile☺️.

Stella

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is a nice tree to follow. Always wondered if oaks is OK for bonsai as I thought their leaves struggle to reduce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It died this year :(

There was about 48 hours of 21 to 26° F temps at my house. I may have fucked up by putting this tree on my heat bed before the storm. Maybe it would have just slumbered through the cold without issue??

The tree seemingly never woke up from the winter sleep. It had green cambium and passed the scratch test around early April, but then the branches all shriveled up. No bud push happened at all!

This photo is from April 13. The buds were looking a little sleepy then and I began to worry.
525C72AC-ED61-47D8-8847-4416D5AF505D.jpeg

Whelp. Bonsai can sure be a humbling hobby 🙃

Top Bottom