Quercus Ilex trunk chop

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Hello there!

I tried to buy a Bougainvillea, but I was forced to get myself another tree (since I had to spend a bit more in order to get it shipped). So I got myself a Quercus Ilex.

I know deciduous trees can take a trunk chop without a problem, but Quercus Ilex is an evergreen tree, so, can I chop the trunk hoping for new shoots to appear?

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You can, but timing is the question. I’ve done well with chopping live oaks in late winter before spring growth. You could also probably do so after the spring push hardens off (before the second push of growth). In any event, I wouldn’t chop it now (Northern hemisphere).

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
You can, but timing is the question. I’ve done well with chopping live oaks in late winter before spring growth. You could also probably do so after the spring push hardens off (before the second push of growth). In any event, I wouldn’t chop it now (Northern hemisphere).
Well, that's all I needed to know.
Thank you good sir

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good deal! Until then, leave it planted and keep it healthy and thriving so it’s ready to be chopped. I haven’t grown Ilex, but my California live oaks (Coast and Canyon) have responded well even when combining the chop with significant root reduction.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello there!

I tried to buy a Bougainvillea, but I was forced to get myself another tree (since I had to spend a bit more in order to get it shipped). So I got myself a Quercus Ilex.

I know deciduous trees can take a trunk chop without a problem, but Quercus Ilex is an evergreen tree, so, can I chop the trunk hoping for new shoots to appear?
My experience with oaks is hard chops are the best way to develop them. The species I've worked with (live oak--quercus fusiformis, and quercus grisea) respond with substantial backbudding at chop sites. Hard chops and pruning are the best way to develop believable branches on them as well. Wire should be used minimally in favor of chop/grow/chop development, even with tertiary branching.

Hard pruning and chops can be done in early spring, as well as when the spring push of growth begins in mid-spring on live oaks.

Top Bottom