Quercus lobata with few fine roots collected

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well 2 weeks ago I collected a California valley oak that was on the side of the road growing in a pile of decomposing pine bark. When collected I pretty much just brushed the decomposing bark out of the way, being as careful as possible not to disturb the fine roots. I went down about 2 feet before I severed the tap root. In the end I was able to save 30-40 fine white colored roots. From ground level to the top of the tree it's probably 30 inches tall and about 18 inches wide, with about a 2 inch thick trunk. There was about 30 or so fully formed leaves with about 50 or so buds that were swollen and ready to pop.

OK with all that said, I planted the tree into a 5 gallon bucket with a few dozen 1/8 holes drilled along the bottom of the bucket. I watered the piss out of it till the water ran clear. I decided to get a 50 gallon clear trash bag, and placed it over the tree, then taped it to the bucket. I popped multiple dine size holes in the bag, allowing for a little ventilation, but not so much that condensation still forms on the inside of the bag. I noticed that nearly all of the buds have pushed leaves, and a few of them have produced 5 or 6 leaves in the past week

Have any of you used a garbage bag as a ghetto greenhouse? Did you do so in efforts to offset the lack of an extensive root system?

Case

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've done it several time and it almost always gives good resluts. I've never actually done a side by side comparison which is impossible since all collected trees are different, but I've noticed a much higher success rate using the bag method.

Aaron

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
H
I did this method with quercus agrifolia--can't say whether it made a different or not as I have nothing to compare to. Look up the "sweating" method. Tony Tickle made a post about it awhile back:
https://yamadori.co.uk/2016/01/04/improving-the-success-rate-of-yamadori/

Hmm I wonder why this person decided to use black bags. I would assume that it would bake the poor trees, but if they've been doing it for 10 years I guess it works.
I wonder why it's critical to not have leaves touch the bag? Gets too hot? Allows for mold go grow?

From the sounds of it, I guess I should consider removing the bag due to the fact that the tree has pushed so many leaves; even if I only remove the bag long enough to inspect the progress.

I guess I should start sifting through the mounds of information and decide on a fertilizer, and potency to use.

Once again, thanks everybody!

Case

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If tree survives this year would highly getting into decent Bonsai soil. Bark tends to have roots grow into it and causes bad things when must be removed for repotting;).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would NOT use the sweating method on trees in the summer in the U.S.

Tony Tickle is in the U.K.

There is a Very big difference in climate for just about any area of the middle and southern U.S. A tree in a black bag in Virginia in the upper 80 t0 mid 90s temperatures of late spring and summer would be cooked in a day. The "secret" here for newly collected trees is bottom heat. Warm pots, like mid to upper 80s, stimulates root growth.That can mean allowing a few hours of morning sun on the pot and shade in the afternoon. There is no need for a bag.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would NOT use the sweating method on trees in the summer in the U.S.

Tony Tickle is in the U.K.

There is a Very big difference in climate for just about any area of the middle and southern U.S. A tree in a black bag in Virginia in the upper 80 t0 mid 90s temperatures of late spring and summer would be cooked in a day. The "secret" here for newly collected trees is bottom heat. Warm pots, like mid to upper 80s, stimulates root growth.That can mean allowing a few hours of morning sun on the pot and shade in the afternoon. There is no need for a bag.

I've been keeping the tree in the shade and I removed the bag about 3 days ago. Seems to be doing okay.

Top Bottom