?Quercus query, que?

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I collected a nice mid-sized tree today from the far eastern edge of the Glacial Lake Agassiz shore in north central Minnesota. I assumed it was what I call "scrub oak", which is very prevalent in this region along the ridges above swampy and marshy areas. There was a single large taproot going straight down, plus 2 more smaller taproot-style roots extending laterally. Native soil was incredibly similar to bonsai soil - loose, gravely, fast draining. There was only one leaf left - a very small one that unfortunately blew out of my hand before I could save it for positive identification.

I really like the overall movement, and the shari and some jin are promising. Not much for nebari. I think this is a white/swamp oak.

Attachments

• front-web.jpg
    front-web.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 63
  • side-web.jpg
    side-web.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 43
  • shari2-web.jpg
    shari2-web.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 32
  • shari3-web.jpg
    shari3-web.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 30
  • shari1-web.jpg
    shari1-web.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Have you successfully collected these oaks at this time of year before? I ask because where I live this is the worst possible time to dig oaks. In my experience they do the best if collected right at break of dormancy.
If it is alive and healthy in two years post again and we can talk about bonsai possibilities.
I'm telling you this as one who killed a lot of trees in my learning curve.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'm pretty new so technically I can't claim to have successfully collected anything. Of the trees (various species) I have collected at various times of the year, one has died (pot blew over in the wind and roots dried out); two have shown no signs of growth (but to be fair, also no signs of death) since collecting; three are growing beautifully. I have asked questions and researched collection times on the various species prior to collecting and chosen to dig or not to dig based on my interpretation of that information weighed against my region.

So thanks for the concern, I appreciate the advice from a more seasoned vet. If you have any thoughts on my question – what kind of tree is it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Without a leaf it is nearly impossible to identify the species. Bark and twig charactoristics can vary dramatically within the same species. It is possible that someone experienced and very local to where it was collected could have a pretty good guess and about as equaly likely that even they would be surprised when the leaves came out in the spring, if they come out in the spring due to collecting at the wrong time of year.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At least in this area it is an "odd" time to collect but honest I have seen many good collections at "odd" times. If it does ok repost with foliage and I am certain it will be identified.

Grimmy

Top Bottom