Quercus Root Cuttings, Best Practices?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm trying to propagate cuttings from a few particular stands of scrub oak I've discovered that have some rather interesting foliage.
Here's the link to that original thread.

I've, of course, had no success so far, but I'm eager to try some hardwood cuttings, and I would like to get some root cuttings as well if possible. These scrub oak tend to spread in thickets from suckers, so I might have better luck with root cuttings.
Unfortunately I've had problems finding reliable info on root cuttings online, particular when relating to oak.

If anyone could point me the right direction, or share their experiences, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
None of the oaks I know seem to be able to propagate from cuttings of any description but trees that sucker are prime candidates for root cuttings. I've already trialled and had some success with a few not oak native species here that were previously considered impossible to propagate and had (limited) success.
It is not unusual to find little or no info on propagation of little used species. You may be the first to even think of propagating scrub oak from cuttings. Be prepared to take some chances and have a go. Start with the usual root cutting practices and see what happens. Document as you go so when you have success you can share with others in the plant propagation community.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm trying to propagate cuttings from a few particular stands of scrub oak I've discovered that have some rather interesting foliage.
Here's the link to that original thread.

I've, of course, had no success so far, but I'm eager to try some hardwood cuttings, and I would like to get some root cuttings as well if possible. These scrub oak tend to spread in thickets from suckers, so I might have better luck with root cuttings.
Unfortunately I've had problems finding reliable info on root cuttings online, particular when relating to oak.

If anyone could point me the right direction, or share their experiences, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

You might be the first to publish a paper on this !!
How about trying the techniques used for Hazel( Corylus) cobnuts and filberts stooling propagation on Royal Horticultural Society guidance notes https://www.rhs.org.uk/nuts/cobnuts-filberts
- see extract below

Perhaps the easiest way to propagate cobnuts and filberts is to remove any rooted suckers and pot them on or plant directly. Layering is also very successful, as is the similar technique of stooling:

• Cut the parent plant back to ground level and allow it to resprout
  • Between spring and midsummer, gradually cover the base of the new sprouts with a mound of soil, allowing the shoots to root in the dark beneath the soil
  • The following winter, sever the shoots from the parent and plant in a nursery bed
  • After 2-3 years the plants should be big enough to be moved to their final position

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, folks!
I have no personal experience with root cuttings, and google seems to think I want to know how to root cuttings, which I'm already familiar with. 🤦 A bit frustrating. Haven't found any resources here that are clear and concise yet either. Allot of people who've done it, but not allot of talk about how.
Any info to get me started would be appreciated.

@AJL, thanks for the links! I'll read up and see what applies to this situation. That stooling procedure seems like it might work for these. I'll consider it over the winter.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Expectation only roots already having sprout attached/growing will produce tree for you. Once personally cut loose main root on oak and left in pot(as cut). Result was root died sproutless/failure🤨.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might be the first to publish a paper on this !!
How about trying the techniques used for Hazel( Corylus) cobnuts and filberts stooling propagation on Royal Horticultural Society guidance notes https://www.rhs.org.uk/nuts/cobnuts-filberts
- see extract below

Perhaps the easiest way to propagate cobnuts and filberts is to remove any rooted suckers and pot them on or plant directly. Layering is also very successful, as is the similar technique of stooling:

• Cut the parent plant back to ground level and allow it to resprout
  • Between spring and midsummer, gradually cover the base of the new sprouts with a mound of soil, allowing the shoots to root in the dark beneath the soil
  • The following winter, sever the shoots from the parent and plant in a nursery bed
  • After 2-3 years the plants should be big enough to be moved to their final position
Possibly you might realize destroying parent plant to get sprout is lousy idea🤪?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I dont think stooling necessarily destroys the parent plant if its used correctly.
in commercial nurseries its used to regularly propagate from coppiced stumps, however you would need to use sensible judgement about where you apply this technique and certainly not to fell a specimen wild tree just to harvest a few cuttings !
If the trees are suckering in dense thickets as Shady Stump stated then surely earthing up a few shoots to encourage rootings seems like its worth a try, provided the landowner has given consent!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I search how to grow root cuttings I get lots of sites. Here are are a few:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/propagation/root-cuttings
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/propagation/cuttings/what-are-root-cuttings.htm
https://www.finegardening.com/article/grow-more-plants-with-root-cuttings
I have not checked those articles for accuracy so hope they are good.
If in doubt please ask for further guidance.
I was able to get some good hits after changing my wording, including some of those same links. Thanks!

The trees in question are on public land. There are no rules about taking cuttings of any sort in this situation, but things like layering and stooling might be another matter. I'd have to hunt around to find the right candidate for stooling that wouldn't involve me cutting the trunk, one broken in a storm or the like.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not sure you need to worry about stooling. As I understand, stooling is when the trunk is chopped to stimulate plenty of basal suckers. The soil is then heaped up so those suckers produce roots so they can be separated already rooted and ready for grafting.
If your trees are already producing root suckers there's no point chopping the trunk. All you really need is conditions conducive to those suckers self layering. If they won't root you could try tourniquet or ringbark to induce roots. The big problem in the field is maintaining good soil moisture to promote roots.

I'd still be trying some root cuttings if you can source some healthy pieces of root.
Note that it is important to plant roots the right way up for root cuttings which is why the articles mention making a diagonal cut at one end. That reminds you which end should be up (or down)

Top Bottom