Quercus Rubra (Northern Red Oak) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking at this photo though, maybe it's actually the right side that needs to go. hahaha. That little weird angular movement is kind of enticing to keep. Next year I plan on repotting, so I'd like to do any harder cuts this pruning cycle and then let it build strength for next year.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thinking of cutting off the top left "branch". Theres a decent line to the top right with a new apical branch.

Otherwise, need to pull back in the two lower branches. Birds have been at the older moss all spring but newer moss is growing anyway.

Thoughts?

View attachment 487101
I have wondered when would be the better time of the year to prune back branches on oak to hopefully force inner buds to develop. I was thinking the time would be right after the leaves fully develop, probably middle June.
Have you pruned branches for inner bud development?
Did it work out okay?
Any timing advice?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive done most of my pruning on this tree in June in the past according to my notes (2020 & 2021) as well with no discernable negative effect, though i havent done many major cuts back at this time into older wood. I dont see issues with doing them in June, though... i see landscape oaks pruned all summer long without issue.

Some developmental stuff ive pruned already.

Still debating the cut. Will add photos for thoughts.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Big prune today. I had earlier pruned a smaller maple with success so I got at this one today.

20230527_122306.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year. Not much beyond the above photo to report. Had some nice color for a while in the autumn. Next year fertilize heavily and summer prune around same time as this year. 2025 will repot.

Before clean up:
20231214_223706.jpg

After cleanup
20231214_224201.jpg

Top Bottom