Quercus Rubra (Northern Red Oak) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This black oak - I think it's a black oak... the leaves seem to have pointy ends and do not look like the white oak immature leaves at all - was growing along the fence line in my yard. I liked the shape of the trunk with the small kink in it and felt it would be a nice tree to work on. It had healthy buds on it as well. The below picture was from late in the winter.

2018.12.18.jpg

Collected from Backyard this March as tree was budding out. Not sure where I will go with it design wise. Right now I just want to see it grow through the summer and maybe make some style and structural decisions during the fall. The roots were not in too bad of shape. I cut the tap root and was able to retain quite a few lateral roots up the stem. Another couple of repots should get the root structure put together well. It is currently leafing out and looks healthy. It was potted in 100% 8822 DE with a top dressing of sphagnum for water retention.

2019.04.26.jpg
Any potential styling advice or care advice is welcome. I know oaks are finicky. My first styling change will be to remove the strong central leader that truncates down to the first budding branch. I don't like the way the top part of the old main leader crosses in front of the left branch in the back. I am also hoping that a new branch will appear at the lower portion of the tree in the future. I think the angle has to be adjusted too but not sure exactly to what. I haven't fertilized at all yet so that may be done soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks more like N Red Oak maybe Pin oak. Not like pics personally seen of velutina;). Personal suggestion IF growth strong and matures well is cut trunk back to branch forks and those branches to first live branch as well as remove(cut off not pull off)most of big leaves. Only do this after all keaves harden off. After this work fertilize like crazy! Did this last summer on Cal Black Oak resulting in many new branches including low sprouts. Best of fortune with it. Continue posts please.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Pot. Will take closer images of leaves when they mature. Ill check out N. Red Oak pictures and leave comparisons.

I like your suggestion on where to cut the trunk back two. Going to grow as a broom style so the fork at that point is fine with me.

What did you fertilize your tree with and when did you do your pruning on your california black oak?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This black oak - I think it's a black oak... the leaves seem to have pointy ends and do not look like the white oak immature leaves at all - was growing along the fence line in my yard. I liked the shape of the trunk with the small kink in it and felt it would be a nice tree to work on. It had healthy buds on it as well. The below picture was from late in the winter.

Collected from Backyard this March as tree was budding out. Not sure where I will go with it design wise. Right now I just want to see it grow through the summer and maybe make some style and structural decisions during the fall. The roots were not in too bad of shape. I cut the tap root and was able to retain quite a few lateral roots up the stem. Another couple of repots should get the root structure put together well. It is currently leafing out and looks healthy. It was potted in 100% 8822 DE with a top dressing of sphagnum for water retention.

Any potential styling advice or care advice is welcome. I know oaks are finicky. My first styling change will be to remove the strong central leader that truncates down to the first budding branch. I don't like the way the top part of the old main leader crosses in front of the left branch in the back. I am also hoping that a new branch will appear at the lower portion of the tree in the future. I think the angle has to be adjusted too but not sure exactly to what. I haven't fertilized at all yet so that may be done soon.
That's probably a red oak. As far as design advice goes, you're three to five years out from needing any of that if this was collected two months ago. You're not out of the woods survival-wise with it. Won't be for two winters or so. You're asking for trouble if you're plucking leaves off of it this spring...No offense to the poster, but I would also take into account that advice is coming from someone 3,000 miles away who works with completely different oak species.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great advice. Will look closer at red oaks now. I was just going to let it grow this year and get it healthy. Do some minor pruning. Nothing major.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What was done with mine was around 1st July. After harden off. Also did this with N Red oak. Likely same species tree. IF tree grows well is best to get lower branching young as possible. IF grows well this year will not hurt to do;).

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ill see how it goes. Youre one zone warmer than me and a much more humid location so maybe mid-july i could experiment with the branch i plan on removing to see reaction.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
20190529_164655.jpg
May 29th. Looking nice.

20190529_164703.jpg
Next set of buds close to popping.

20190529_164724.jpg
Some buds on branches may develop more branching this year.

I fertilized with 14-14-14 slow release Osmocote.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ant888 i like how thick the trunk is on this. Already a nice shape and its very young. It already shows taper and some movement.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks good! Keep feeding and watering, worry about styling later

Im going to let it grow this year, prune back late winter after I determine direction / long term. I want to do a closer examination after next flush of growth and see where branches develop. I hope I can get something forming down low beneath the kink in the trunk. Its a bit straight below that point and needs some interest there.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wired the tree up a bit to separate the branches and get more light into the tree. I would like some critique on my wiring if possible. I am using 2.5mm aluminum. This is the first wiring ive really done but I did my best to use what I learned from a recent workshop with our club. I tried to incorporate some minor bends fully knowing ill likely be cutting them off eventually anyway.

20190604_202148.jpg
Tree from front.

20190604_202201.jpg
Close up of the spot where branches form.

20190604_202214.jpg
Top down view to show the orientation of branches.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @Potawatomi13 . I initially thought of doing that but I wanted the extra practice of wiring the trunk upwards as well. Bob Mahler had said its preferrable to wire the trunk up to the first branch and then use that main wire as an anchor so thats what I tried here.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree is also entering second flush of growth. Excited to see where the tree gets to this year. Im happy with the leaf size.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Second flush is hardening off to the sun. Leaves look mostly healthy. I got a well placed branch on the left trunk that I can prune down to next year. Happy with the tree so far. Will wire out these next branches once they lignify.

20190618_201710.jpg

Top Bottom