Quercus suber change of style.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this tree last year for the beaymutiful base and nebari. Yet hate the top for its long bare branches and outside foliage where tree was just pruned to shape and have a rather empty interior. Will need to repot it out of the soil its in around late Jan early Feb.
Wondering if its ok to start pruning and removing few branches to:
-hopefully get back buds
-allow more sun to the interior branches
As tree is due for a repot and possibly heavy rootwork with the soil its in (will only half bare root or even do 2 × 1/3 of root ball yearly.
Is it ok to start working on top.and foliage or leave it till rootwork is done for the added foliage to gather more energy for the tree to recover faster from repot ?
Would unsuggest a different approach like maybe just removing few branches....
Appreciate any hints on how to style the tree to match the rough base.
As well as any tips on how to handle it to create back budding and shorter branches...
Is now OK to prune if I am.to do it or wait till early autumn?
Keep both main branches or reduce to one ?
Repot jan/feb ?
One last question on final pot size and shape abd colors ??? Guess that would be after 3-4 years after tree is out of its soil and new top developed ? Or ok to do it with first repot ? Will decrease pot size now
having to reduce a huge rootball in 3-4 years ?
Thanks
Screenshot_20210717-180115_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210717-180127_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210717-180150_Gallery.jpg to avoid

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, that is a great tree! And for you, this tree is probably either native or close to native. I am attempting to grow a q. suber at the edge of the Mojave Desert in the southwest USA, and have only had it a little over a year. I have not even taken it out of the grow pot it is in, so I can't really speak to roots beyond my superficial understanding that root work must be approached carefully and gradually. I have done a fair amount of pruning to set the primary branches, so I can talk more about that.

In my experience, this species responds extremely well to pruning and wiring if done at the right time. I had a disastrous experience with some late summer/early fall pruning last year, and almost lost the tree. But it did produce new branches very late this spring. So I did some late spring/early summer pruning and wiring, and it went much better. Every time I work the branches (and it has been a few times this year) I get another flush of growth. The branches will just run long and strong until they snap from their own weight. So I have to keep wiring and pruning. I do not wait long to wire branches - they become very stiff as soon as they lignify. The branches also thicken quickly, so I am taking wire off after only a few weeks.

If you are okay having a tall, slender tree over that rough base (which could work), then I actually like the movement and branching that is there. I think that you should wait until late winter and prune back the leggy branches to start tightening up the canopy. Then, plan on pruning a few times over spring and early summer. It should respond very well for you.

Last edited:

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, that is a great tree! And for you, this tree is probably either native or close to native. I am attempting to grow a q. suber at the edge of the Mojave Desert in the southwest USA, and have only had it a little over a year. I have not even taken it out of the grow pot it is in, so I can't really speak to roots beyond my superficial understanding that root work must be approached carefully and gradually. I have done a fair amount of pruning to set the primary branches, so I can talk more about that.

In my experience, this species responds extremely well to pruning and wiring if done at the right time. I had a disastrous experience with some late summer/early fall pruning last year, and almost lost the tree. But it did produce new branches very late this spring. So I did some late spring/early summer pruning and wiring, and it went much better. Every time I work the branches (and it has been a few times this year) I get another flush of growth. The branches will just run long and strong until they snap from their own weight. So I have to keep wiring and pruning. I do not wait long to wire branches - they become very stiff as soon as they lignify. The branches also thicken quickly, so I am taking wire off after only a few weeks.

If you are okay having a tall, slender tree over that rough base (which could work), then I actually like the movement and branching that is there. I think that you should wait until late winter and prune back the leggy branches to start tightening up the canopy. Then, plan on pruning a few times over spring and early summer. It should respond very well for you.
Thanks for all the input.
Yes it is local and guy I got it from did take it out himself around 30 years back. He says he started moving them from pots to bonsai pot in same similar soil we have in the forest around 5 years back and had lots of losses in repots. This is one of the first batch of trees that made it abd incan see the round soils mass it was in still in the rectangle bonsai pot. Ryan Neil's also mentioned quercus being finicky with rootwork and sheen causing issues at later stages if not cleaned from native soil few years after all external roots are in bonsai soil so guess I'm in for a long ride which I hope will end well as so far my repot fail rate is horrible.
I don't mind the slender trunk above the base just hate the huge top as it minimises the base. I will repot around early Feb and only work out 1/3rd of the roots, guess prunning right after in end of spring would be too much so will do a very minimal prune every year on few select branches if tree shows good growth by then. They seem to be very aggressive growers.
Please do share pics of ur tree.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice base, if the tree was shortened it would be improved tremendously

Top Bottom