Quercus Suber seedlings, what now?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im not sure if putting them in those big pots make sense.
You might get waterlogged in them as the root system wil lbe pretty small and not cover the whole pot, just be careful with watering.
If that was me, i would've planted them in smaller containers for another year or 2, after 2 years- root prune them and put in to the bigger ones, but thats me :)
best of luck with them, ive coiuple of white oaks seedling too, just waiting for the right time to repot them.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wire some movement into those bad boys!

I have a few that I have been playing with that are one year olds now as i started em indoors during winter 2018 into 2019. I let them freeze just a few times this season and they appear to be doing ok for the most part. A few have leaf damage from the cold.

I'll have to repot this spring and cut back the taproot. Odd thing is they didn't drop leaves last fall, just kept them on and even just kept growing a little.

I believe sheffields seeds has acorns for those looking to start some.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im not sure if putting them in those big pots make sense.
You might get waterlogged in them as the root system wil lbe pretty small and not cover the whole pot, just be careful with watering.
If that was me, i would've planted them in smaller containers for another year or 2, after 2 years- root prune them and put in to the bigger ones, but thats me :)
best of luck with them, ive coiuple of white oaks seedling too, just waiting for the right time to repot them.

When growing to develop trunk size roots must feel free to run like ground planting. Of course sacrifice branch/apex is needed as well. If kept in small pots this takes forever;). "Might" get H2O logged prevented with well draining substrate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom