Quercus turbinella/shrub live oak

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today I finally got out searching for an acer negundo, unfortunately all of the suitable ones I could find where in deep shade where the ground was still frozen solid so I decided to grab this young Quercus turbinella which I really liked as well. It's a smaller tree, when I chopped it I counted 12 rings so it does have some age to it. The leaves are naturally about 1.2 inches long so I thought it would make a nice little specimen. My only question is, since I'm used to collecting deciduous trees should I defoliate it to reduce the stress on the roots? I honestly treated it pretty hard but I did get some decent roots.

Aaron20160127_141631.jpg 20160127_141642.jpgdecent bark down low20160127_141654.jpg 20160127_145054.jpgand the small leaves.
Thanks for any advice you may have to offer.
Aaron

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Should have defoliated it before digging but better late than never.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I figured I'd give the method everyone is talking about a go on this guy, wrapped it up in a trash bag and stored it in the cold house.

Aaron

Attachments

• 20160128_170127.jpg
    20160128_170127.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 25

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if this treatment on a "live" oak that has leaves will translate directly. The tree has leaves. The technique is meant to be used on recently collected bare trunks of deciduous species to induce more new budding on the trunk.

It may work here. I don't know, but live oaks aren't exactly like deciduous English oaks, or other types of oaks that lose their leaves completely in winter. Since they hold onto leaves all year, shedding them over time in the spring, live oak species seem to need their leaves all year. Putting them in a bag will probably force the tree to drop them all.

That may not be a bad thing, as it would force the tree to start all over again with new leaves.

I don't know how this is going to turn out. Should be interesting to watch.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know if this treatment on a "live" oak that has leaves will translate directly. The tree has leaves. The technique is meant to be used on recently collected bare trunks of deciduous species to induce more new budding on the trunk.

It may work here. I don't know, but live oaks aren't exactly like deciduous English oaks, or other types of oaks that lose their leaves completely in winter. Since they hold onto leaves all year, shedding them over time in the spring, live oak species seem to need their leaves all year. Putting them in a bag will probably force the tree to drop them all.

That may not be a bad thing, as it would force the tree to start all over again with new leaves.

I don't know how this is going to turn out. Should be interesting to watch.
I personally defoliated the tree just after collection. I'm doing it more for the heat and humidity.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We've had a couple warm days and it's only getting warmer, this little bud was not that big yesterday when I vented the trash bag, I take it as a good sign.

Aaron

Attachments

• 20160205_080028.jpg
    20160205_080028.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 20

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should have defoliated it before digging but better late than never.
Chopping has the same effect right? Or is it bad to chop a fresh collected tree?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Chopping has the same effect right? Or is it bad to chop a fresh collected tree?
In my opinion it's best to chop deciduous considering your severing the tree from most of its root system, but it always depends on the scenario, in the case of conifers you leave most of the top to help establish new roots (unless it's a large tree).

Aaron

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
Live oak and turbinella are not the same.
This is a turbinella though.

These are not your typical oak.
And they are pretty much evergreen.

I was told to defoliate mine.

As for the bag, I don't know but these guys live in some pretty dry air here.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Live oak and turbinella are not the same.
This is a turbinella though.

These are not your typical oak.
And they are pretty much evergreen.

I was told to defoliate mine.

As for the bag, I don't know but these guys live in some pretty dry air here.
I'm sure it's as dry there as here maybe 18% humidity average for the entire year. The bag is mainly to help generate heat, and it obviously worked considering our night time lows are in the 20's still and this thing has budds swelling all over as of today.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Swelling budds like crazy, even all over the trunk I just can't get a pic of those guys.

Aaron20160302_132033.jpg 20160302_132046.jpg

Top Bottom