Question about bringing trees out

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my 4th year in bonsai but only 2nd with junipers, boxwood, and other outdoor trees that go dormant so looking for a little guidance on the best way (and when) to start bringing those back out of winter storage.

The ones that have been in the shed all winter in the dark are mainly boxwoods, junipers, couple azaleas, and a small red maple. My zone is 6a, should I bring them out now and get them in a shady place for awhile? wait a bit longer to start bringing them out of winter storage? or?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd get them outside and start exposing them to the sun. You can provide a little shade if you want but the sun isn't all that strong this time of year and they need it to grow strongly.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know about your climate zone, but i have had them outside all winter. I guess if it's not freezing anymore you should wake them up, and get them rollin'.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are still dormant you can bring them out into the warming spring temps. If the deciduous trees' buds haven't broken, they're fine even if the temps go below freezing every now and then. The boxwood and juniper should be fine too. I'd get everything out into locations where they can get three or four hours of morning sun for now. Make sure they're up off the ground too

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay cool, will be nice to finally get them out again. Thanks all.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anything that is deciduous can be put into full sun. They have no leaves so there is no risk of sunburn. For the others easing them into full sun may be the conservative way to go.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had some crape myrtles that I did not get outside in time to acclimate to the sun. Leaves were growing and after about a month in the sun they look a bit rough. Sooner the better if you dont want toasty leaves. Just watch the 5 day forcast for that last sneaky freeze.

Top Bottom