Question about climate and how it could affect repotting and pruning

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Colombia an hour outside Medellin, And Colombia has the title of "the Eternal spring". So Does that mean I can repot my Bonsai whenever? can I Prune my bonsai Whenever? we are currently in the dry season so bonsai trees are watered daily, sometimes it will rain but not enough. But that really bugs me because my Bonsai tree that I have as my Profile Pic is budding and so are mango trees and many others. So anyone with foreign climate Knowledge please enlighten me. thanks!

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
It depends on the species of tree. To some trees it won't matter. Other trees need "schedules", dormant and active seasons, regardless of the climate.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Colombia an hour outside Medellin, And Colombia has the title of "the Eternal spring". So Does that mean I can repot my Bonsai whenever? can I Prune my bonsai Whenever? we are currently in the dry season so bonsai trees are watered daily, sometimes it will rain but not enough. But that really bugs me because my Bonsai tree that I have as my Profile Pic is budding and so are mango trees and many others. So anyone with foreign climate Knowledge please enlighten me. thanks!
As said, this depends on what kinds of trees you have.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
its the same tree you see in my profile picture. its a variegated ficus.
Ficus like to be repotted when it is really hot outside. Here in the states, people repot their ficus in the middle of summer. Heat stimulates root growth in the species.

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
In Columbia it won't matter what time of the year you repot or prune it. Just make sure it doesn't dry out. It might shed it leaves but will bud again shortly after. Wait at least two weeks before adding fertiliser.
its the same tree you see in my profile picture. its a variegated ficus.

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
R
Ficus like to be repotted when it is really hot outside. Here in the states, people repot their ficus in the middle of summer. Heat stimulates root growth in the species.
Really hot in Colombia is a different beast. Ficuses love growing in hot humid weather. Repotting in hot weather is silly and will put your tree under unnecessary strain. Do that when it's cooler.

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
R

Really hot in Colombia is a different beast. Ficuses love growing in hot humid weather. Repotting in hot weather is silly and will put your tree under unnecessary strain. Do that when it's cooler.
thank you very much i was wondering about that and will definitely keep that in mind. during rainy season is when temps drop a little.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
R

This makes no sense. "Ficus love growing in hot humid weather" so wait until it's not growing to root prune? May be hotter in Columbia, but Ficus come from hot zones and will root very fast in such conditions.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Clicio should be able to shine some light.... Like the fantastic stud-muffin he is.

And what everyone stated thus far is solid advice

As you gain a bit more experience you will realize that knowing HOW to repot and care for the Specimen AFTERWARDS is JUST as important as timing.

You end up using timing, as a TOOL. You learn the parameters, and Within these parameters are observed, standardized "norms". When you know your "tools" well enough, you can navigate different processes at different times IF NEED BE.

It is still wise to stay within those standardized norms, though.

;)

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio should be able to shine some light.... Like the fantastic stud-muffin he is.

And what everyone stated thus far is solid advice

As you gain a bit more experience you will realize that knowing HOW to repot and care for the Specimen AFTERWARDS is JUST as important as timing.

You end up using timing, as a TOOL. You learn the parameters, and Within these parameters are observed, standardized "norms". When you know your "tools" well enough, you can navigate different processes at different times IF NEED BE.

It is still wise to stay within those standardized norms, though.

;)
Like said above, Ficus can be reppoted in the summer, specifically well if they are in a southern american country near the Equator, such as Colombia, or northern Brazil.
They like it hot and humid, they thrive in our Summer - and in the Spring, and in the Fall - so I have found they can be reppoted anytime during the year here in Brazil.
But...
I like to repot them by the end of our summers, which means March/April for us.
All conifers and deciduous like maples or Prunus, I wait to repot only by the end of winter.

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
Surely you are aware of the severe shock a plant experiences when it's being transplanted. The plant is no longer established and it's energy shifts from growing to recovery. A hot Columbian summer sun isn't going to do anything for a plant that's just been uprooted and trying to re-establish itself. In fact it will just sap more energy from the plant than it's giving. Anywhere else in the world to you would transplant a ficus in spring, just before the growing season starts. Colombia is growing season all year round so choosing a day or week that isn't severely hot is just common sense .

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Surely you are aware of the severe shock a plant experiences when it's being transplanted. The plant is no longer established and it's energy shifts from growing to recovery. A hot Columbian summer sun isn't going to do anything for a plant that's just been uprooted and trying to re-establish itself. In fact it will just sap more energy from the plant than it's giving. Anywhere else in the world to you would transplant a ficus in spring, just before the growing season starts. Colombia is growing season all year round so choosing a day or week that isn't severely hot is just common sense .
I’ll repot a ficus year round; however, “severe” hot humid summer is the best, this is when they thrive…ficus is a different animal. Are bulletproof. If you’re killing them it’s user error, not seasonality.

Shocking trees is bonsai -the summer will encourage recovery, not deplete…if you’re able to provide proper aftercare that is…though that’s the case with any repot.🤔

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Variegated species in general tend to be weaker than the standard natural individuals. Whenever this tree is to be repotted, I would provide more attentive aftercare than if it were green true type variety.

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
I’ll repot a ficus year round; however, “severe” hot humid summer is the best, this is when they thrive…ficus is a different animal. Are bulletproof. If you’re killing them it’s user error, not seasonality.

Shocking trees is bonsai -the summer will encourage recovery, not deplete…if you’re able to provide proper aftercare that is…though that’s the case with any repot.🤔
Where are you from Jim? Richmond Virginia? That's what you temperate climate guys just don't understand. Your winters fall to subzero temperatures, so of course summer is the holy grail of growing times. That isn't the case in tropical climates. In the tropics the winters are the same temperature you have in the summer. Google it. Medelin has "winter" temperatures of 28°C. That what you have peak summer. Have you ever experienced 40° weather? Would you want to repot plants in that?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you from Jim? Richmond Virginia? That's what you temperate climate guys just don't understand. Your winters fall to subzero temperatures, so of course summer is the holy grail of growing times. That isn't the case in tropical climates. In the tropics the winters are the same temperature you have in the summer. Google it. Medelin has "winter" temperatures of 28°C. That what you have peak summer. Have you ever experienced 40° weather? Would you want to repot plants in that?
FWIW, ficus growth cycles are not dependent on temperatures. They depend on moisture. Seasonal monsoons, vs dry periods. They grow most actively when it's humid and wet. Also FWIW, bottom heat at the roots has long been a tried and true method used by nurseries to regenerate roots on plants.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

If you're going to come from this angle...

You can report trees ANY time... In ANY climate... As long as you know what you are doing, and can provide the tree what it needs for recovery. ;)

Agreed, that, in temperate locations, "severe heat" looks different than most of central and south america...

But knowing your PLANTS is the most useful tool.

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like said above, Ficus can be reppoted in the summer, specifically well if they are in a southern american country near the Equator, such as Colombia, or northern Brazil.
They like it hot and humid, they thrive in our Summer - and in the Spring, and in the Fall - so I have found they can be reppoted anytime during the year here in Brazil.
But...
I like to repot them by the end of our summers, which means March/April for us.
All conifers and deciduous like maples or Prunus, I wait to repot only by the end of winter.
Yea our summers end in April also and its starting to rain more often so i think repotting now is what you would recommend. Thank you so much for the advice. the porr tree looks like it needs a repot anyways so win win.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nearing a 100 degree Fahrenheit day in summer (40* C = 104 F) with very high humidity here and in Tennessee where I moved here from is normal. Exceeding that is not a shocking thing either..and all plant people temperature people?

Aside from ficus and crape myrtle perhaps…summer is far from the holy grail and can be the worst time to repot most species. Trees here tend to go into a semi-dormancy in summer. Summer is the most stressful season of the year, care is peak. However, when all else is in some degree of stasis, ficus (and citrus) grow the most.
Sure it’s a tad hotter there and we have more seasons…so what? Does your ficus grow in summer? Repot it.

Top Bottom