Question about Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon' and trunk.

yodamon

Sapling
Reaction score
Sparks Nevada, northern Nevada about 45 minutes fr
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve been working a new nursery find and I was wondering if I should keep the trunk straight as upright formal, informal or bending in an upward spiral. I sure there are many answers but wanted to know what would be fun for the Japanese Cedar. I see mostly up formal uprights. Thoughts?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

I wasted some money on this one and kept it in the greenhouse over winter, whereupon it croaked. I may try it again because the foliage is magnificent shiny dark green....
Cy BD 2019_1213History0003.JPG

yodamon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

I wasted some money on this one and kept it in the greenhouse over winter, whereupon it croaked. I may try it again because the foliage is magnificent shiny dark green....
View attachment 397632
Thanks for the profile info, updated. 7a.

I like the slight trunk twist that you have in this photo. I do get some snow 8” several times a winter and extreme to -5 deg. I normally bury my pots in soil and top with leaves for 2-3 feet. They seem to like this and I’ve not lost any trees in 5 years.

yodamon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve been working a new nursery find and I was wondering if I should keep the trunk straight as upright formal, informal or bending in an upward spiral. I sure there are many answers but wanted to know what would be fun for the Japanese Cedar. I see mostly up formal uprights. Thoughts?
I’ve just read that this species can withstand sub zero temperatures as long as there is no wind and no waterlogged roots. I guess I’ll erect a wind break and still bury the pot.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They will darken to almost purple in winter making you worry but, do just fine in Ohio winters. Mine has survived 3 so far after coming from Florida.IMG_20210201_135305337_HDR.jpgIMG_20210131_114517566_HDR.jpgIMG_20200311_153956852.jpgIMG_20200311_153928576.jpg

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't mean to step on this discussion.
Does anyone have any advice/experience on back budding and grafting this species? I have several. my largest was a fourteen footer from a sad plant pile in a nursery. It air layered into three nice trees, each about 30 inches high. Unfortunately, both of the lower segments are lacking a number of critical branches.
Any advice, suggestions and references will be gratefully accepted.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This news is fantastic. It looks like you just keep the some of pots out on the patio while some deciduous under some covering. I thought they might over freeze, good news.
Thanks!
The D trees in mulch under the bench along North foundation and the EGreens in the Vegi garden buried in leaves. Boat, wife and myself in Florida. LOL

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have the algorithms found a way to keep the dude flying the Flag out of my view!?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone have any advice/experience on back budding and grafting this species? I have several. my largest was a fourteen footer from a sad plant pile in a nursery. It air layered into three nice trees, each about 30 inches high. Unfortunately, both of the lower segments are lacking a number of critical branches.
How long have you been trying? It may still be recovering from being layered? I have one large old one, 3-4" diameter trunk, and it still throws out shoots at the base, and everywhere else randomly and always within a few weeks after pruning.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How long have you been trying? It may still be recovering from being layered? I have one large old one, 3-4" diameter trunk, and it still throws out shoots at the base, and everywhere else randomly and always within a few weeks after pruning.
I admit this is only the second growing season since the air layering. The limbs that were present from before have active growth and the "new" tops are growing fine. I read somewhere the long shoots should be pinched and not cut and the pinching will encourage ramification. Maybe I'm impatient. I'm happy they are all healthy and seem to be growing fast.
It is frustrating there isn't more information on them.

yodamon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking about trying this approach just yesterday. I’ve never done it so I will just have to see who replies.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was thinking about trying this approach just yesterday. I’ve never done it so I will just have to see who replies.
Please keep us all informed. For me, any failures are as great a learning experience as the successes. As I said earlier, There seems to be a lack of written information on this species except for propagation from cuttings which appears to be easy.

Top Bottom