Question about fabric pots

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I invested in about 20 fabric pots recently before I had this idea. Does anyone think those reusable bags they sell at shopping centers would work just as well as these fabric pots? The only difference I can see is that maybe the fabric on the pots is thicker, but I'm wondering if I could still use some of those instead of buying more fabric pots. Thoughts?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why not? The tree won't know what the outside says, or how thick it is... You may have deterioration of the bag sooner is all. The only other issue is whether it'll be strong enough to stand upright, or just pitch over on it's side.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's what I was thinking, too. I'm still not sure if the thinness of the bag will let too much air flow through though...that's the one thing I was concerned about. But you have a good point about the flimsiness of them. I hadn't given that one much thought yet.

If we take this a step further, I wonder if I could just take these bags and tie them at the top. That way if they fall over not much substrate will fall out. Another benefit might be keeping moisture in the top which may help promote root growth in the nebari...but this is just an idea.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that airflow to the roots is a good thing.... I don't know that too much could be bad for them, as long as they are covered with substrate, it wouldn't cause root pruning I wouldn't think. But they would have to be sturdy enough to keep the soil from shifting around, as you'd be breaking feeder roots off as it shifted. So it's not just a question of keeping the soil in the bag should it fall over. I dunno about tying the top, my instinct says that would be a bad idea. Hope you can get more input on this from others who have tried it.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahhh, good point. I suppose if I do go this route I'll have to make sure they're secure and heavy enough not to fall over. . . .

Yeah, the tying the top thing was one of those thoughtless ideas. lol -- Thanks for throwing down some logic ;)

Top Bottom