Question about jin pliers

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Am looking at getting a pair of jin pliers to use for wiring and potting.

What's the difference in a pair of pliers when the jaws meet completely like in the first pair and the second pair where only the tips of the pliers meet?

I have small hands so want a lightweight pair of pliers and a 7 inch pair rather than the more standard 8 inch pair. Does anyone use the 7 inch pair and how to do you like them?

Here's the two different types of jin pliers I'm referring to. It's just the way the jaws meet that I'm asking about.Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.24.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.29.32 PM.png

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The one on the left has a stronger overall grip and is the one that I see most often sold.

The one on the right looks like its mainly for a fine grip at the end on material and may have a streamlined tip compared to the standard issue. If so, this would allow it to slip into narrow spots…. Not as good grip from the side… minor issue.

Honestly it seems six of one half dozen of the other other though. You might like the one on the right if it’s shorter and lighter.

To get some ground truth I asked the Fleet Admiral who has small hands for her opinion. Marie said she generally prefers the shorter tools because they give her more control. Yet she uses the 8” Jin pliers and says they work fine for her.

Go figure! 😎
cheers
DSD sends

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's just the way the jaws meet that I'm asking about.
They “meet” like that to allow the teeth to grip wire. If you stick a 3mm wire in, the teeth will grip the wire along their full length. In other words, the jaws are parallel when they’re slightly open.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can probably find a "beading" or some other crafty type pliers with a slot for wire at Hobby Lobby, or Michael's.

I aquired a needle nose like that from somewhere once.

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The one on the left has a stronger overall grip and is the one that I see most often sold.

The one on the right looks like its mainly for a fine grip at the end on material and may have a streamlined tip compared to the standard issue. If so, this would allow it to slip into narrow spots…. Not as good grip from the side… minor issue.

Honestly it seems six of one half dozen of the other other though. You might like the one on the right if it’s shorter and lighter.

To get some ground truth I asked the Fleet Admiral who has small hands for her opinion. Marie said she generally prefers the shorter tools because they give her more control. Yet she uses the 8” Jin pliers and says they work fine for her.

Go figure! 😎
cheers
DSD sends
Thank you @Deep Sea Diver Actually most of the bonsai jin pliers I've seen for sale are like the second pair. The jaws don't meet all the way.
My concern is that I use reading glasses when I'm repotting or doing something closeup. I don't want to have to fumble to get the wire into a small half inch space where the jaws meet and I couldn't understand why all of them didn't meet the whole way.
I understand now that the second pair would give better leverage and I appreciate that. Having never used them though I don't know how difficult it is to only use the tip and not the whole head. I'm glad your wife is comfortable with them. Thank you for sharing that.

@Brian Van Fleet I hadn't noticed it before but on the first pair of pliers the jaws are never actually parallel when they're open?

@sorce Thanks for that. It's a good idea. I may look.

The two pair I showed are by Ryuga and American Bonsai

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good luck on your purchase @Katie0317 !

Both would likely work well for you after using them for awhile. We both use reading glasses, for us it’s all about getting good light and proper use of leverage.

Cheers
DSD sends

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Good luck on your purchase @Katie0317 !

Both would likely work well for you after using them for awhile. We both use reading glasses, for us it’s all about getting good light and proper use of leverage.

Cheers
DSD sends
Thank you. I agree and think you're right. I tend to overthink things sometimes but on my very first buy the nursery but a literal pile of things on the counter I would need. Three rolls of wire, a bag of substrate, wire cutters, fertilizer etc,..It all seemed reasonable but when I used the wire cutters they're just garbage. Carbon steel and the same color as the branches I was working on. While removing wire I cut a branch. I'll never buy carbon again. I like stainless in our environment...we have very high humidity and I like seeing the silver stand out against the colors of the tree, but that's me. I'm sure others can make carbon steel tools work for them. I advise against buying inexpensive tools though. On that it seems you get what you pay for. I'm going to buy the pair that's on the right by American Bonsai tools. I bought Kaneshin concave cutters and they're worth it but I don't think I need to go all out on pliers. Thank you for your help. I really didn't completely understand why they were shaped like that.

Bob Hunter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
First pair are pliers, right ones are JIN pliers are off set for taking off Bark to make JIN.

Top Bottom