Question About Placing Brazilian Rain Tree Outside

zekkotek

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recently got a BRT about a month ago and is my first bonsai. I've had troubles with it wilting and I've found everything online about what it could be and I've been trying different things to no avail. And for the time being I've had the bonsai inside and the weather just got good enough to place it outside. So I feel this is the problem as the light I'm using almost definitely isn't strong enough.

My questions are where should I place it? I have a small covered porch that faces southwest that I could put it on or should I put it somewhere in the direct sun? Along with this about how much should I water it? I've been watering it until I see water coming out of the bottom and then rewatering whenever the dirt feels "dry" even though it's hard for me to tell sometimes.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any other basic info I should know about having it outside, I know most things like I plan on bringing it inside whenever the temp drops below 50. Thanks in advance!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Z, Welcome to the forum. First of all where are you located? Please put your location in your profile so it shows up under your name, so people can give you good advice.
That will determine the answer to your question.

BRT do sulk when they have a big change of environment, so I imagine that's what you're seeing now. Unless you are noticing this wilting occurring at night, or in very shady conditions. They fold their leaves up at night and when it's raining, hence the name... You an gradually move it from a bright location into full sun as it gets used to where it is now. It may loose all it's leaves at some point, but they are pretty sturdy and will leaf back out if conditions are good. Once you do have summer where you are, they enjoy full sun, but can take partial shade. I always kept mine in the house in winter (I'm in a cold climate) under florescent lighting, and in a south facing window. It always did fine. You must take the tree outside in the summer, it won't like being inside full time.

BRT do like to be moist, and are thirsty trees in the summer. Depending on the type of soil it's in it may need watered every day and more than once in summer if it's in a free draining bonsai type soil. Pictures of the plant and the soil would be very helpful to see what it's in. You can use a wooden skewer pushed down into the soil about halfway to the trunk from the edge of the pot, pull it out every day and that will help you to see when it's drying out.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask other questions, and please post a few pictures.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Please add your location to your profile, so you get the correct advice for your climate. Where I am, they have to be inside from usually mid-October until mid-May, depending on our fickle weather. When it's consistently above 50 for night-time temps, they go outside in the shade for a week to get them acclimated to being outside. Then full sun. They are thirsty trees, especially in the summer. Don't let the soil completely dry out. Others here have more experience with them than I do, so maybe they will chime in. Do you have any pics of the tree?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hi Z, Welcome to the forum. First of all where are you located? Please put your location in your profile so it shows up under your name, so people can give you good advice.

BRT do sulk when they have a big change of environment, so I imagine that's what you're seeing now. Unless you are noticing this wilting occurring at night, or in very shady conditions. They fold their leaves up at night and when it's raining, hence the name... You an gradually move it from a bright location into full sun as it gets used to where it is now. It may loose all it's leaves at some point, but they are pretty sturdy and will leaf back out if conditions are good. Once you do have summer where you are, they enjoy full sun, but can take partial shade. I always kept mine in the house in winter (I'm in a cold climate) under florescent lighting, and in a south facing window. It always did fine. You must take the tree outside in the summer, it won't like being inside full time.

BRT do like to be moist, and are thirsty trees in the summer. Depending on the type of soil it's in it may need watered every day and more than once in summer if it's in a free draining bonsai type soil. Pictures of the plant and the soil would be very helpful to see what it's in. You can use a wooden skewer pushed down into the soil about halfway to the trunk from the edge of the pot, pull it out every day and that will help you to see when it's drying out.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask other questions, and please post a few pictures.
Was typing a the same time lol.

zekkotek

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Hi, I meant to put my location but completely forgot in my rambling. I live in the Piedmont region of Georgia so generally good climate for tropical plants. I imagine with the weather we have rn, I could put it out soon (low of 60 and high of 80 for today). And also by wilting I mean that the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I have heard that they're very sturdy plants but was worried as a lot more leaves started turning yellow in the past few days.

The soil I have for it is the soil that it came with. I also have some special bonsai potting mix on the bottom and a little on the top which I'll send some pictures of. I'll also send some pictures of the bonsai itself. The leaves are folded up right now because today's a really really cloudy and foggy day, that also kinda shows that the light I bought for it doesn't work too well.

E: Also the soil is kinda messy right now because I haven't taken the fallen leaves out of it

Attachments

• Bonsai1.jpg
    Bonsai1.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Bonsai2.jpg
    Bonsai2.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Bonsai3.jpg
    Bonsai3.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 36
  • bonsaipottingmix.jpg
    bonsaipottingmix.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 32

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Get it acclimated to sun in steps. Put it outside in shade the first week. The next week half sun, the third week it should be in full sun. They grow well in full sun.

Water - check to see if it needs water daily. Water only if it is approaching dry. In full sun it will probably need water daily, possibly twice a day in hot weather. But because every day the weather is different, the time it takes to go from wet to dry will change with the weather. THerefore you check daily, and water when needed.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes that is what they do when they have a change of location like to your place from wherever it was. It may even just be loosing old leaves. They will probably all turn yellow and fall, but if you keep an eye to not overwatering, as it will use less when it has less leaves, then it will put all new leaves out for you. Your weather is fine to put it out, just watch the night temps. The soil looks good and well draining, so you're ahead of the game there already. Get that wooden skewer thing going to help you determine watering needs from day to day. These don't like to get too close to dry, so don't wait till the stick is fully dry. In a good draining soil like it look like you have, it will be difficult to overwater.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Full sun. Lots of water. They can take temps down to 40° easily as well so you should be fine to leave it out.

Top Bottom