Question about root pruning big elm

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I have an opportunityto purchase a C, Elm from a local nursery. Its trunk is about 6=7". The tree was pulled from landscaping last year and placed in a 100 gallon container. The tree is already partially flushed out. The only way i can get the tree is to trunk chop and remove a good portion of its roots.

Is it safe to do this now?

Thanks in advance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an opportunityto purchase a C, Elm from a local nursery. Its trunk is about 6=7". The tree was pulled from landscaping last year and placed in a 100 gallon container. The tree is already partially flushed out. The only way i can get the tree is to trunk chop and remove a good portion of its roots.

Is it safe to do this now?

Thanks in advance.

If only the roots were reduced last year I'd try to keep em all....

$?

Pics!

Sorce

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
$100, no pics:(. I asked if i could keep it there until winter. He said he could sell it for $300 once it fully flushes out. He didn't go for that idea.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
$100, no pics:(. I asked if i could keep it there until winter. He said he could sell it for $300 once it fully flushes out. He didn't go for that idea.

IMO, a good honest nurseryman could sell it now for 300.

I had a chat about it at THG with a good dude.

Sounds like a threat....

He's afraid when it dies it'll be worth shit.

Go back when it is dead to the base...

5$

Sorce

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
IMO, a good honest nurseryman could sell it now for 300.

I had a chat about it at THG with a good dude.

Sounds like a threat....

He's afraid when it dies it'll be worth shit.

Go back when it is dead to the base...

5$

Sorce
Will do. I told him I'd be taking a risk too. No telling what could happen under his care.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I May be a lil too riled up to have this as end game.

But I'd buy that root slayer shovel and 4 bags of 8822 if I had $100.

Sorce
I really dig the 8822. My black pines and C. Elm seedlings seem to like it too.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really dig the 8822. My black pines and C. Elm seedlings seem to like it too.

I don't think I've seen JBP in it.

I would love to see pics...and root pics whenever possible!

Sorce

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
A good time to collect is when buds are swelling but not open. A tree this large would need a number of reductions however if it is healthy it could be repotted every year. However I would leave it be for maybe 2 or 3 years after initial collection.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm able to reliably enough strike dormant hardwood cuttings of Chinese elms so I suspect any chunk of Chinese elm is reliably able to sustain itself. If your horticultural aftercare is good and reliable then go for it!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Find a friend with a pick-up truck, rent a u-haul truck....hmmmmm....100 gallon container...now that's going to just be heavy, especially if watered. You might need a couple friends with good arms (and backs). What I did once...rent the pick-up truck at Home Depot for the minimum...get the tree home and drop the truck back at HD....sort of hassle free rental. U-Haul is cheaper though I think. It was just convenience to me as the two places were right near each other.

A photo of the tree would help others here with Chinese Elm expertise to give you a good review of the worthiness of the tree...and problems to obtain it.

I'm betting that the 100 gallon container is a lot of soil and not filled solid with roots. At a nursery...I think prices go up by the size of the container.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
At a nursery...I think prices go up by the size of the container.

They do here at least, especially in garden centres. I imagine the nurserys operate in the same way for bought-in stock.

One place I go for shrubs and trees for landscaping jobs uses the same supplier as me for smaller stuff in bulk. They buy in grasses like Carex evergold, elijah blue etc in small pots, put them in a slightly bigger pot, wait a couple of weeks for the roots to start moving out and sell them for silly mark ups. For example I can get 8x Carex evergold for £10.56 in 12cm pots, the garden centre gets them the same price and sells them on in either 15 or 17cm pots for £6.99 each. I understand places need to make money but until I started getting my own suppliers I never realised QUITE how much stuff gets increased! Heucheras are bloody insane mark up, one place near me that gets them where I do for £2.74 each sells them for £11.99 in the same pots.
I'm trying to find out where my favourite centre gets their tree and shrub stock from!

Container size definitely makes a difference!

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen JBP in it.

I would love to see pics...and root pics whenever possible!

Sorce
Definitely experimental. I ordered 14 JBP about a month ago. I potted them in an oil drain pan purchased from the dollar store (I drilled about 25 holes in the bottoms). Unfortunately, no root pics. They'll remain in these containers for the next few years. I fertilize once a week, with fish/kelp.

The little seedlings are about 3 weeks old.

I had a few JBP's in Maui. Wasn't sure how they would do here in Tampa, but I figured I'd give them a go.

I have another 37 in a regular soil mix (pine bark, peat, sand and vermiculture).

Still learning on JBP care. I read every post I can on them.

Attachments

• 0309171712.jpg
    0309171712.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 0309170012.jpg
    0309170012.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 11

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JBP should love 8822, as diatomite gravel is slightly alkaline.

Top Bottom