Question About Skipping Decandling for This Pine

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey all,

While I’ve come a long way regarding my understanding of pines, I’m not sure about this particular situation and the literature I’ve seen is a little sparse regarding the macro view of husbandry and when one should actually skip a year of decandling. I purchased this nice sized black pine (pics below) last year from the monastery in Conyers GA. It wasn’t one of the monastery’s trees and I’m not sure of the back story on it.

When I got the tree it was incredibly leggy although the limbs were pretty well bifurcated to secondary and tertiary levels but they were all straight and spindly with little back-budding and tufts of needles mostly on the very ends of each limb. It was planted in very broken-down soil that resembled red mud. The only thing I did when I got the tree home was apply some wiring to the limbs to get started on compacting the tree and make it look a little less like Don King. As for anything else, I waited until this spring to repot and was surprised at the relatively small root mass compared to this giant grow-out pot that it is in. I did a little root pruning and replaced it in the same pot (albeit much more shallow bonsai soil) to give it breathing room for a season or so.

Despite the odd situation with the limbs and the soil it’s a nice size and the trunk has some pretty good movement. It has a 3” thick trunk, a pretty nice nebari. The tree is about 28” high – now that I brought the limbs down and in. The whole thing with the pot is about 34” tall.

Finally, here’s my question: The spindly limbs beg to be thickened with more foliage and vigor. I have been breaking the longest of spring candles in the strongest areas to promote back budding and balanced energy. There are some good buds forming on the older wood particularly in the stronger areas. Would you guys decandle this tree this year of leave it to strengthen? I am suffering from cognitive dissonance because, with the lack of foliage carrying over from last year combined with my repot, I feel this tree needs some strengthening. However, I don’t want the limbs to become even more leggy.

Most of the reading I’ve done says that the decision not to decandle comes from years of experience and increased skills. I believe I know the answer, but it might be beneficial to have someone else’s perspective.

PS - I know it isn’t near time to decandle. We have a very long growing season around here so I don’t typically decandle my small pines until mid-July. Since this tree is pretty large, I would probably do it in mid-June so my question is mostly academic at this point. Any input would be appreciated.

FRONT
IMG_6014.jpg

LOTS OF SPINDLY LIMBS
IMG_6018.jpg

BACK-BUDDING
IMG_6016.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No candle pruning this year, let it regain some vigor. Maybe even feed it early. While it is spindly, the needles do show general good health.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Stan. This tree is extremely weak. If it’s been about a month since you repotted, begin fertilizing.

no decandling this year. Don’t even worry about getting long candles, it looks like it will back bud once it gets strong, and you’ll be cutting back to those back buds anyway.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No candle pruning this year, let it regain some vigor. Maybe even feed it early. While it is spindly, the needles do show general good health.

Thank you. You're confirming what I was wanting to do. Just needed some conservative thoughts.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with Stan. This tree is extremely weak. If it’s been about a month since you repotted, begin fertilizing.

no decandling this year. Don’t even worry about getting long candles, it looks like it will back bud once it gets strong, and you’ll be cutting back to those back buds anyway.

Thanks! Thank you both. You threw me when you said, "I agree with Stan," as my name is Stan too! :) Interesting that we are all from Georgia also!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely wouldn’t decandle it either. Get it growing strong in good sun, and heavily fed all year. In the fall, you can do some pruning and bud selection, along with some needle-pulling to help balance it.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Definitely wouldn’t decandle it either. Get it growing strong in good sun, and heavily fed all year. In the fall, you can do some pruning and bud selection, along with some needle-pulling to help balance it.
Thanks Brian. I think that ultimately it has potential. A nice trunk is a good start. Once it’s good and strong it shouldn’t take too many years to get the limbs and foliage into shape.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't worry about trimming that foliage at all, you need it's energy no matter what it decides.

It's decision, that you should spend this season, maybe next listening for, is wether it will bud close enough to the initial forks or trunk to be of use to you.
And enough to be of use to you.
Or wether you'll graft it.

I personally don't see it happening.

At least not before you can learn to graft or pay someone to graft it for you.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Give this one all the sun possible, and feed and water heavily through this year. I'd have 4-6 teabags with hollytone on that one right now and would be adding to that every week or two

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wouldn't worry about trimming that foliage at all, you need it's energy no matter what it decides.

It's decision, that you should spend this season, maybe next listening for, is wether it will bud close enough to the initial forks or trunk to be of use to you.
And enough to be of use to you.
Or wether you'll graft it.

I personally don't see it happening.

At least not before you can learn to graft or pay someone to graft it for you.

Sorce

Doesn't show well in the photos, but it is popping quite a few new buds now. There are many new candles that are emerging (and elongating) all the way back to the primary limbs. With the right amount of feeding and water, they will hopefully continue to elongate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't show well in the photos, but it is popping quite a few new buds now. There are many new candles that are emerging (and elongating) all the way back to the primary limbs. With the right amount of feeding and water, they will hopefully continue to elongate.

In that case.....

I would use that wire to keep that growth from being shaded out.
With a nod to a possible need to graft later, curling some length back around underneath.

Since keeping the old tips lower will also help energize the new tips.

Sorce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The other thing is, leave the candles alone, i.e. don’t pinch. Back buds are created by vascular traffic, so just get it as vigorous as possible, as others have recommended. You have a lot of thin branches, so if you didn’t get all the buds you wanted, it would be relatively easy to graft.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In that case.....

I would use that wire to keep that growth from being shaded out.
With a nod to a possible need to graft later, curling some length back around underneath.

Since keeping the old tips lower will also help energize the new tips.

Sorce

Excellent pointers. Thank you!

Top Bottom