Question about soil availability

Kelsan23

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Alright, I’m in south FL and was hoping someone would have some suggestions for purchasing soil components, if I wanted to mix up my own. I’ve purchased from Bonsai Jack and they were great but I’m looking to mix my own, in hopes of getting more soil for the money...if that’s possible.

Buying pumice, lava and akadama seems to be very expensive in large quantities, at least on the east coast.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy the good stuff on this side of the country or alternatives that would work in the Florida heat?

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have my eye on this stuff. There is a landscape material wholesaler near me who carries it so I was thinkin of buying maybe a dozen gallons or so.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They've used Napa 8822 Floor Dry in Florida successfully.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry but how? I have pallets of the stuff at my store so I have a easy supply of this.

There is a very valid argument that even product inside the 8822 bags isn't always the same. We have yet to find another DE or floor dry other than 8822 that works as well and consistently.

Is it #8822?

How how? Lol! I use it straight cuz I haven't found any "pine fines" from HD to mix it with since the one year I did and got excellent growth.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yep I usually have about 50 or so 25 pound bags in the back of my store on pallets and about 1500 sitting at my local distribution warehouse. Shops order this stuff from me daily. :p
8822 is a LARGE component in MOST of my Substrate mixes.... I just ask the NAPA guys to save me the top two off of each pallet... they’re quite helpful about it.. but if YOU, personally, have wholesale access... run with it!

🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shops order this stuff from me daily.

Nice.

I used it sifted at first to use the bigs, but found the smalls (dustfree) to grow things much better.

So I just been skimming off the top lately.

Using the settled dust at the bottom is about the only thing I wouldn't recommend.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice.

I used it sifted at first to use the bigs, but found the smalls (dustfree) to grow things much better.

Using the settled dust at the bottom is about the only thing I wouldn't recommend.

Sorce
Indeed.... my sifting processes have become quite crude and barely necessary since I started getting bags off the “top” of the pallet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Siiift in the wind....

All I do is siiiift in the Wiiiiiiind.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, I been wet sifting and wet planting.
Underwater.

It's mad easier!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Siiift in the wind....

All I do is siiiift in the Wiiiiiiind.

Sorce
That reminds me of a 10-strip party that five of us had once.. we found my friend, Alyssa, outside in the sandbox, singing “Dust in the Wind” ..crying about how beautiful it was. ;)

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Alright, I’m in south FL and was hoping someone would have some suggestions for purchasing soil components, if I wanted to mix up my own. I’ve purchased from Bonsai Jack and they were great but I’m looking to mix my own, in hopes of getting more soil for the money...if that’s possible.

Buying pumice, lava and akadama seems to be very expensive in large quantities, at least on the east coast.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy the good stuff on this side of the country or alternatives that would work in the Florida heat?
You have a great supplier very close. A little pricey, but great product! And free shipping over $199.
Not sure how close you are to Merritt Island.
American Bonsai Tool & Supply Co. - High Quality Stainless Steel Bonsai Tools & Supplies

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice.

Sorce
I can't believe I just read 21 pages on stuff I've used to clean up 1000's of gallons of oil over the years to grow trees in. 😂

Checked with one of my counter guys this morning and we are actually sold out in the store at the moment but we have 900 bags in the warehouse. At $4.80 each my cost I had them order in 10 bags for me and I'll see how it does during next repotting time .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can't believe I just read 21 pages on stuff I've used to clean up 1000's of gallons of oil over the years to grow trees in. 😂

Reckon that is your special definition of Crazy!

I had a hydrophobic problem with this Boxwood..

But it was potted to deep and water wasn't getting in...had I submerged it now and then, it would have been fine.

I haven't noted it again, but it is certainly worth a cautionary eye. The wood chips help change the shape enough to negate any hydrophobia.

Sorce

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a few boxes of pumice from General Pumice Supply. You get usually get 10-15% off as a newcomer or on holidays.

Top Bottom