Question about some chinese elm seeds

glass_shark

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been venturing into seed starting, and i've had some luck! a seed has sprouted.

for context, these are chinese elm seeds, i have put them in a pot around november, and they have been outside in the cold as if they were "in the wild" and now im seeing a sprout or two. the problem is, were expecting a bit of snow next week, so should i relocate the pots inside or leave them be? im worried the snow may kill whatever is trying to start this early, but im sure theyre able to survive that naturally anyway. just interested to see what you all may think. thanks!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would just leave the pot outside, especially if you planted dozens of seeds, and the chance one or two sprouts were the "precocious dummies" who didn't know better than to stay dormant, because winter is not over.

You want the seedlings that keep in synch with your own climate. You don't want to have to hassle with the trees that break dormancy the first warm day in January.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They will be fine outside. If the pot is small enough to easily move, it wouldn’t hurt to set it in the garage or shed for a day through the bad weather. Otherwise I wouldn’t worry about them.

Top Bottom