Question about stratification process..

CherylMatthews

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just a quick question about the stratification process of growing bonsai trees. When putting seeds in a sealed plastic bag to put in the fridge for a period of time, does the bag need to be ventilated by putting holes in it or does it just need to be sealed?

Thanks in advance and any advice for this process are welcome.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There are no bonsai seeds, there are different types of seed depending on species of trees which those seeds came from. They all have different types of propagation requirements it all depends. Some methods work for multiple types, others won’t. It all depends.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I seal the bags, too.. I open up and “circulate” every 7-10 days.

:)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Whoops!

Greetings, wayward Stranger!

Absorb the melodic, reverberating hum of the Deep, dark Woods. Learn the steps and perform frequently, the dance of the Woody Dwarves..

...this retains balance, and harmony, within the Tiny Forest!

What kind of seeds!? (Specie)

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

CherylMatthews

Seedling
Reaction score
Whoops!

Greetings, wayward Stranger!

Absorb the melodic, reverberating hum of the Deep, dark Woods. Learn the steps and perform frequently, the dance of the Woody Dwarves..

...this retains balance, and harmony, within the Tiny Forest!

What kind of seeds!? (Specie)

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!
I'll be growing Japanese red maple.

CherylMatthews

Seedling
Reaction score
I have always sealed the bags - but I open them up to let fresh oxygen in about once a week. This method at least worked well for maples, crabapples, and redbuds.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

CherylMatthews

Seedling
Reaction score
There are no bonsai seeds, there are different types of seed depending on species of trees which those seeds came from. They all have different types of propagation requirements it all depends. Some methods work for multiple types, others won’t. It all depends.
I'm well aware of this. Bonsai is a form of art and its all about training the tree to stay miniature. I'll be growing Japanese red maple.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use snack sized zip lock bags, zipped closed. I would advise to add either a damp paper towel or damp (not wet) sphagnum moss. The seeds will eventually dry out in the fridge if they are not kept moist.

CherylMatthews

Seedling
Reaction score
Awesome!... don’t “skimp” on that 90-days... ;)

How many are you planning on planting?.. and how many seedLINGS are you anticipating?
There are only 5 seeds in the pack so I have to hope at least one of them germinate.

So you recommend they stay in the fridge for 90 days? As I heard it was 60.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seal them in small zip locks also using a bit of sphagnum moss generally. Also sometimes fold them in a slightly damp and wrung out paper towel. Bags are seldom opened, not more than once a month if at all.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
There are only 5 seeds in the pack so I have to hope at least one of them germinate.

So you recommend they stay in the fridge for 90 days? As I heard it was 60.
I think standard is 90 days, but you have to take a look often.
In my case almost all of my seeds (red maple) got to germinate quite early while on the fridge. I think they did after 50 or 60 days..

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best wishes for everybody germinating!

If they all do — or even if they don’t all — you might like to check out the Forest From Seed contest:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're hit after 90 days unless you're a sohemer!

Just stick em in the ground!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Don’t throw any seeds away! Just because a tap root doesn’t emerge when stratifying is done doesn’t make that a bad seed. Plant it accordingly and it may still develop. Also, I hate trying to finds seeds in peat moss, especially tiny maple seeds. Find a substrate that is lighter than the seeds. I use sand.

Top Bottom