Question for a friend on wintering a juniper...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am trying to convince a friend she should have no trouble with her late brother in laws bonsai. (She would like to keep one to remember him by since he had a love of bonsai) She does have an unheated garage not attached to her home. (Brick garage if I recall correctly) Can she winter this in there with arctic temps that move into our area during the winter...making outdoor temps be -20F a few weeks during our winter? (Not sure of actual temp in garage) I suggested I have no problem wintering it in my cold greenhouse with my trees, what's one more to toss water/snow on. But, that is where her dilemma lays...can she winter it or should she allow me to? Again...I have no problem doing so. But is that really needed?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If she wants to,they can take brutal temps. Mine stay outside on the ground with no I'll effect whatsoever. But if she's worried then by all means winter it for her. Have her come over occasionally so she can check on it and watch you in action throwing snow on them. Then next year she will be confident enough to take care of it herself.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Mike...she is so second guessing her ability. I keep encouraging her though...she is thinking she might just give it to me. But, I honestly want her to give it a go...since she had it in her heart to want to keep one.

Her brother in law many years back gave her one...with no instructions and she killed it. So she has that also in the back of her mind.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just tell her she has the dead one under her belt so now the only way to go is up.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't put it in the garage. That can lead to more than a few problems, like drying out, not enough light, fungal issues. Best option put the tree on a brick or two on the ground in the backyard near the house cover the pot up to the tree's trunk with shredded pine bark mulch. Leave it alone, hope for a lot of snow.

If she objects, point out that junipers survive in some of the most extreme climates on the planet, including subarctic zones with no help from anyone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't put it in the garage. That can lead to more than a few problems, like drying out, not enough light, fungal issues. Best option put the tree on a brick or two on the ground in the backyard near the house cover the pot up to the tree's trunk with shredded pine bark mulch. Leave it alone, hope for a lot of snow.

If she objects, point out that junipers survive in some of the most extreme climates on the planet, including subarctic zones with no help from anyone.
Your suggesting not water it in the least then?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've overwintered my shimpakus (along with other conifers) in my detached garage for years with no ill effects. There is a small window giving a little light into the garage, but my understanding is that evergreens don't need light during the winter months. Probably overkill given our usually mild winters here, but it keeps them out of drying winds, I don't run into problems with squirrels, etc.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm thinking her brother in law kept his on his porch outside...maybe up against the house. For he had no garage. She also has a covered porch...but felt garage might be best...of the two. Away from town squirrels...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put mine on the ground on the North side of a shed. Sitting on a bed of straw covered op to the first branch with straw. Then snow on that. Once they freeze solid and I mean frozen solid to the ground there is no more need to worry about moisture or light. And my tallest 3 procumbens stick out of the snow and they are fine. I don't think they need to even come off the benches. They are that cold hardy. My Shimpaku get buried under the snow so I'm not sure about them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your suggesting not water it in the least then?
If the mulch is watered thoroughly when the tree is buried under it, no. It will probably (barring a winter drought) enough moisture from rain/snow, etc. Of course, it doesn't hurt to dig down to the soil surface through the mulch every now and then to make sure.

The bricks underneath are important. They provide a solid drainage surface underneath the pot. The space between the drainage holes and the bricks should be mulch free. Placing the tree on the bricks before mulching takes care of that though.

Top Bottom