Question for people who sell/ship bonsai trees.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I already asked a friend who’s opinion I hold in the highest regard but I’m hoping to get a little more feedback. I bought a tree/vine (Virginia creeper) on one of the FB auctions on Dec. 8. Paid on that date. The seller sent my tree somewhere else and I received the wrong tree. I sent the tree I received on to the correct address and the seller reimbursed me the shipping. After the tree was in transit nearly 7 weeks, the seller reimbursed my money. I told him I was concerned about the amount of time it was in transit and he kept saying “it’s ok, it’s dormant”. I finally received it. A couple of the branches snapped just taking it out of the box. Several branches were dead, a few still seem fine. My question is do I send the seller the money or a partial amount?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I already asked a friend who’s opinion I hold in the highest regard but I’m hoping to get a little more feedback. I bought a tree/vine (Virginia creeper) on one of the FB auctions on Dec. 8. Paid on that date. The seller sent my tree somewhere else and I received the wrong tree. I sent the tree I received on to the correct address and the seller reimbursed me the shipping. After the tree was in transit nearly 7 weeks, the seller reimbursed my money. I told him I was concerned about the amount of time it was in transit and he kept saying “it’s ok, it’s dormant”. I finally received it. A couple of the branches snapped just taking it out of the box. Several branches were dead, a few still seem fine. My question is do I send the seller the money or a partial amount?
Well if it were me I’d send photos to the seller and ask what they want for it. It’s not what you ordered so it is not worth the full amount, but depending on condition in spring you can may be negotiate with them. If it’s a cheapo then chances are they won’t be bothered about further shipping costs and let you keep it, whereas if it’s worth a bob or two then maybe a deal can be had.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't, that's worse than poor service, you played employee and didn't get what you ordered.
I surely wouldn't play employee and ship it back. May as well burn it after that.

I think the seller should be pleased with that fact YOU made their other customer happy and are not speaking worse, or louder.

Sorce

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
That totally would get me mad . I would send photos and see what he can do and definitely act like it’s his fault and it basically is !

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any time I've gotten the wrong thing from an auction I've just been told to keep it. (<$100) You did the seller a favor by helping to fix their initial mistake. At the end of all this, you got something half dead that you're not happy with. I'd pay with my conscience and not a penny more. Depending on what the tree looks like and how decent the seller has been about everything, my conscience might be saying zero or it might be saying half.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it depends a lot on what we are talking here. If you are having a 500+ USD tree with well-developed canopy shipped and it looses a couple of branches it is a big thing. If you have a few years old plant with not much branching to begin with, and it is worth 25 USD .. you have a living plant which you need to grow and chop several times. In the first instance I would return the tree if I really was unhappy. In the second I would accept it as is.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I sell and ship a modest number of pre-bonsai each year. My policy is the customer should be happy. If there's a problem I sort it out. Usually that means a refund or replacement but some customers still want to keep the tree and are willing to just take a partial refund. I don't think there is any rigid rules for this sort of thing. As @leatherback points out there's a vast difference between a broken branch on an old, show ready tree and a small starter.
I am still regularly surprised at what trees in transit will cope with and what they will grow back from. Several times customers have reported delayed trident maples looking very sorry on arrival. I have offered refund but told them they are resilient and the customer has opted to see how they respond. In all cases the trees have returned to health with a vengeance and the customers have been delighted.
This is your tree, your payment so you are the one who needs to make the decision to pay, part pay, defer payment pending subsequent growth or to return the tree.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only paid $45 plus shipping. It’s basically a stump with about eight branches off of it, half which are dead, in a plastic training pot. I’ll contact the seller and work something out. Thanks for all your replies

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If the base worth it. They are a beast...and will reward you with back budding. Mine arrived with the apex broken upon arrival.(Not even concerning since it wasn't developed. Early in my journey...I was more concerned than warranted. ) I've redesigned it from my initial direction early on. It was a species my husband hated. He would glare at it on my bench. But last year when one offered me $800 for it. He said, "No. Once the money is gone...then what!?! It won't replace the tree." The tree has grown on him apparently. But he fights to kill Virginia Creeper in the landscape. It's a cool species to work with... I hope you find something you both agree on...between the seller and you.

Top Bottom