Question for pot makers

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Hello, I put ceramic tile down for a living and a lot of time there are extra or some scrap pieces. I been thinking about getting into pot making and was wondering if it would be possible for me to integrate these extra pieces in the pot making process? I think I could make some really cool stuff if this is possible. Also if anyone has any links or info on where I can learn about pot making and kilns would be much appreciated. Thanks!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Depends on the clay... there are different clay's for different firing temperatures.
Probably the answer will be no.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
O, that process would not be for beginners. It can be done but requires a lot of testing of materials. Like Max said differing clays and glazes are difficult at best. Don't let that discourage you from pursuing a journey in clay, it's a great ride.,

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Thanks guys. Any advise on where to start this journey?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
O, enroll in a course at an art center or community college or even finding a local potter to learn from. Clay is a hands on learning experience and there aren't many shortcuts. There is a learning curve that will cover every part of your emotions but in the end if you have that passion, it' worth it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know a local potter who has been doing this kind of thing for 50 years. He makes very nice pots and other things from clay that incorporates bits of smashed porcelain. The end result looks like soil with rocks in it, since the porcelain doesn't melt at the temperature the surrounding clay does. As mentioned before, this process isn't for beginners, as it requires specific knowledge of the temperatures required to fire each different type of clay or ceramic you're using.

Community college or local potter who gives lessons is the way to get into it. It's a fascinating thing to do and probably a lot deeper hobby/art than you might realize.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I found a local pottery place that sells a lot of different kinds of pottery. When I was about to leave I found a back room with two kilns in it. I found out I can get some lessons from a Potter there by appointment. Also for 75$ you can stack the kiln full of ur stuff. I can't wait to give this a try!

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depending where in Ohio you're at, the Cultural Arts Center in Columbus does pottery classes. I think it's too late to sign up for the fall classes but I believe they start again in December.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I'm 50 min from Columbus. I'll have to look into that. Thank you!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a local pottery place that sells a lot of different kinds of pottery. When I was about to leave I found a back room with two kilns in it. I found out I can get some lessons from a Potter there by appointment. Also for 75$ you can stack the kiln full of ur stuff. I can't wait to give this a try!
I would opt for the Arts Center. I would bet they've got more stuff and expertise than the store (if it's one of those "paint your own pottery" places.) The arts center is also probably going to have more experience in the things you're trying to do with bonsai pots. Bonsai pots are a pretty specific thing requiring not only specific construction techniques, but also expertise with glazes. An art center is more likely to have that knowledge.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have tiles, see about just cementing them together.
Try a simple rectangular box, and add four feet or if you are really good at tile cutting.
Simply cut the feet out from two sides of the rectangle.

You can then create many shapes, the sky is the limit.
No need to fire.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom