Question for successful cuttings

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I do cuttings I do a surplus expecting a large amount of die off. I couple months ago I did a trial of a weeping cherry, that i was excited about.....out of 30 cuttings only 9 rooted, the rest rotted. Those 9 started to rot as well and i lost those too. I re did the cuttings as the window is still open, but by the time i took cuttings for the second try the japanese beetles had already emerged and started their damage on the leaves. I took 125 cuttings this go around....but the leaves have damage (damage leaves in a high humidity environment = rot) not sure if these will be any better. So i may have lost the chance to grow these this year......timing is very important.
Didn't know the japanese beetles were invasive that far up, they can destroy entire cherry trees in short order. Sorry to hear that, I lost a landscape bing cherry to them last year.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Didn't know the japanese beetles were invasive that far up, they can destroy entire cherry trees in short order. Sorry to hear that, I lost a landscape bing cherry to them last year.
I try my best to avoid chemicals and pesticides, but there's times when you have no choice if you want to protect the plant.

I wasn't fast enough to catch them in time this year.
thumbnail_20200722_113250.jpgthumbnail_20200722_113307.jpgthumbnail_20200722_113327.jpgthumbnail_20200722_113338.jpg

Top Bottom