question for those with experience of air layering to grow surface roots question - what to do once the roots grow?

saul_sebag

Seedling
Reaction score
Seeking guidance on an air layering question:

I am a beginner and am trying to develop surface roots. I am going to try the ‘ring’ air layering technique (cutting a ring through the bark and growing roots into moss).

My question is, what should I do with the new roots once they have grown? For example, after the roots have grown should I repot the tree with those new roots partly in the earth - yet still above the ground?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What to do depends on the size of the roots. If they can support the tree, I'd cut the base off and set it up in a pot on its new roots.
If it can't support the tree, I would let them grow.

But keep timing in mind; repotting off season can be detrimental. If you're in doubt, it's better to wait.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seeking guidance on an air layering question:

I am a beginner and am trying to develop surface roots. I am going to try the ‘ring’ air layering technique (cutting a ring through the bark and growing roots into moss).

My question is, what should I do with the new roots once they have grown? For example, after the roots have grown should I repot the tree with those new roots partly in the earth - yet still above the ground?
The best approach is to develop the roots with ground covering until you are satisfied with the thickness in proportion to the trunk base and the number and spread that you are after. Short answer is the roots will be better off protected by a layer of soil while developing.
So over the years during development, after combing out, trimming as desired and shortening those that need it, simply repot carefully and cover the roots with soil until the next repot. Once development is over then the main nebari can be displayed on the surface and will change in appearance once exposed. Bark texture and color usually.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nothing!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

saul_sebag

Seedling
Reaction score
What to do depends on the size of the roots. If they can support the tree, I'd cut the base off and set it up in a pot on its new roots.
If it can't support the tree, I would let them grow.

But keep timing in mind; repotting off season can be detrimental. If you're in doubt, it's better to wait.
Thank you!

saul_sebag

Seedling
Reaction score
The best approach is to develop the roots with ground covering until you are satisfied with the thickness in proportion to the trunk base and the number and spread that you are after. Short answer is the roots will be better off protected by a layer of soil while developing.
So over the years during development, after combing out, trimming as desired and shortening those that need it, simply repot carefully and cover the roots with soil until the next repot. Once development is over then the main nebari can be displayed on the surface and will change in appearance once exposed. Bark texture and color usually.
Thank you for your advice. Much more confident about what to do having read it. Very much appreciated.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you looking to air layer or ground layer? You are saying air layer but something is telling me you have a potted tree and want to ring it in the pot to develop roots.

Top Bottom