Question @ Japanese Flowering Quince

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would like to know from those of you that have grown them, what is the best time to do pruning on these?

I have read that any of the following times are "the best": late fall, late winter, spring......o_O

So which is it?

Thanks

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few flowering quinces that I've had for a couple growing seasons. Mine seem to respond well to pruning in any season and back bud prolifically. Even after hard cut backs, anytime of year they never miss a beat.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
As the owl says, they don't care. You give up flowers (but more come later) if you prune in late fall or winter. That's the only caveat I know of.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We are in very close zones and mine do best when pruned throughout Spring and Summer. They do ok in full sun after they are a few years old but all seem to do best in partial sun. I have a few for a season now and my experience stated is from working old stock at Grams farm.

Grimmy

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine grow like weeds. I will do light pruning at anytime but I like to knock out anything major prior to July/August so that I don't jeopardize blooms.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys
Right now, I am really just concerned with developing the tree instead of flowers, so I guess I could do some pruning now so they hopefully get some more back budding this summer.

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys
Right now, I am really just concerned with developing the tree instead of flowers, so I guess I could do some pruning now so they hopefully get some more back budding this summer.
If you go ahead and prune for development now you will most likely have a significant amount of back budding. Stay on with regular trimming throughout the growing season will help out with ramification too. They grow quickly in terms of apical or terminal growth....with mine new shoots can grow up to 6 inches a week easily.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A hard cut back prior to bud burst always gets more buds bursting forth. When vigourous it doesn't matter when you prune if you want more back budding. Just remember though that Chaenomeles flower on mature wood so if you want lots of blooms next year then prune directly after flowering and leave the wood to harden off.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best time to trim them is when they need it.

True enough. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

For the sake of the discussion, these are 2 landscape plants I bought last spring. They are about 2 feet tall. I didnt do anything to them last year because I wanted to observe them first because they were new to me and I couldnt figure out the correct timing from the info I was reading as stated in the first post.

So now I want to cut them back significantly to start building branches because that is the next step with them. These dont have huge trunks and are going to be shohin sized trees in the end.

It sounds like now is a good time to do that?

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

For the sake of the discussion, these are 2 landscape plants I bought last spring. They are about 2 feet tall. I didnt do anything to them last year because I wanted to observe them first because they were new to me and I couldnt figure out the correct timing from the info I was reading as stated in the first post.

So now I want to cut them back significantly to start building branches because that is the next step with them. These dont have huge trunks and are going to be shohin sized trees in the end.

If you're not concerned about seeing the flower display, cut them back hard now and you'll get a larger selection of buds to build your branches with.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A

I'd cut them back now and seal the cuts.

Top Bottom