Question on Bonsai Bark / Stone Lantern

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In issue of April 30 one can see and admire some "extraordinary pines"

The Pine in the photo below belongs to Luis Vallejo, Spain.
Wayne Schoech is wondering about the size of candles based on their location on the tree. As he says : "Because we’re focusing on the candles and how they are managed in order to control and balance energy"

1525179630366.png https://bonsaibark.com/2018/04/30/plucking-pinching-some-extraordinary-pines/

Caption says :
... ...there's a story being told by the way the candles are strongest on the bottom third of the tree. Normally on apically dominant trees (like pines), you would expect the most vigorous candles at and near the top of the tree. My guess is that some of the upper candles have been pinched (shortened) and/or some have been plucked (removed) in order to control growth.

To my opinion, the candles are looking "correct" because the physical apex of the tree is low because of the cascading form.
The top of the tree in this image is the artistic/bonsai apex not the physical one.
Not a result of pinching/plucking.

Am I correct or wrong?
I would like to have your responses.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In issue of April 30 one can see and admire some "extraordinary pines"

The Pine in the photo below belongs to Luis Vallejo, Spain.
Wayne Schoech is wondering about the size of candles based on their location on the tree. As he says : "Because we’re focusing on the candles and how they are managed in order to control and balance energy"

View attachment 189956https://bonsaibark.com/2018/04/30/plucking-pinching-some-extraordinary-pines/

Caption says :
... ...there's a story being told by the way the candles are strongest on the bottom third of the tree. Normally on apically dominant trees (like pines), you would expect the most vigorous candles at and near the top of the tree. My guess is that some of the upper candles have been pinched (shortened) and/or some have been plucked (removed) in order to control growth.

To my opinion, the candles are looking "correct" because the physical apex of the tree is low because of the cascading form.
The top of the tree in this image is the artistic/bonsai apex not the physical one.
Not a result of pinching/plucking.

Am I correct or wrong?
I would like to have your responses.

You are wrong. The tree doesn't care about art. It considers its apex simply to be the part at its top, furthest away from the groun. This species, as noted, is apically dominant. That means without intervention that the topmost branches of the plant will try and dominate it. That is why this photo is remarkable. The opposite has been forced here.

Cascade designs are infamous for having the lower branches become less and less vigorous over time as the tree tries to push all its energy into the top portion. Some growers compensate for that by placing the pot on its side (and strap the soil and tree in tight), so the lowest branch points upward and becomes the highest one. They put the pot back flat on display or only occasionally. That treatment "fools" the tree into thinking that it's lowest branch is its apex and to focus its energy there.

Top Bottom