Question on Ficus Microcarpa

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was wondering what the best time of year (assuming late spring or early summer) would be the best time to do a graft of some branches cut from the top of my ficus lower down on the trunk. Also what is the best method to graft these branches without the ability to thread graft (branch is to far away). Any tips would be appreciated because I am very new to grafting.

Next question: I have some aerial roots I want to move. What is the best method for moving them and how successful is it when you move them? I have seen a video of a guy cutting a aerial root off and inserting it in a slit in the bark but there was no follow up....will I loose these roots or is it pretty easy with this species? Thanks.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello from Haymarket!

Generally, when the ficus is growing and healthy you should be OK to work on it.

In terms of moving aerial roots, you can cut a plastic straw lengthwise and gently push the root into it and move it to the desired location. Keep the straw moistened to prevent the root from drying out.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do most of my work on tropicals in summer, after I've done all the work on my other trees, the tropicals have been outside and transitioned to full sun, the nights are staying warm and I see signs of vigor.

One option is to make cuttings from the tree, root those cuttings and thread graft them next year. I did some thread grafts and "plug" / approach grafts last year, as well as rooting some cuttings to possibly use as root grafts using an approach graft technique. You cant really even tell, but the branch on third branch from the bottom on the left side was a thread graft done in the late Spring / early Summer (its the only one with wire on it). The first branch on the left and the back branch (which you can't really see other than a few leaves) were sort of approach/plug grafts. I cut the branch off of the left side of the tree because it was too long, but it had 2 aerial roots. I used each aerial root to support a length of branch and attached it to the tree initially with zip ties and replaced them with wood screws. attached them to a wound on the tree, but even if the cambium never fuses, or not for many years (and I probably won't ever know), the branches still look like they naturally come out of the tree from most angles, which will only Improve with time.

As far as moving the roots, I think you mean moving where they leave the trunk? I think Redwood Ryan was referring to how you can direct where they land on the soil. I've never cut an aerial root off and reattached it to the trunk other than the two branches I was referring to above. If it is growing vigorously, I think there is a chance that your idea would work, but without green growth, there is a risk it would die before fusing to the tree. Worth experimenting - whether or not you decide to operate, you can always design some way to increase humidity and get more aerial roots.

IMG_20201212_122518.jpg

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We will find out soon because I just did some root surgery. I cut aerial roots off and sliced into the bark and matched it up and tapped it off tight. Hopefully they take because I plan to chop the top (where the roots came from) later this spring summer.

Top Bottom