Question on movement..actual movement.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have this yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper. I got a good deal on it, I realize it isn’t the ideal specimen being very narrow at the bottom and tapering wider to the top. It’s just a plastic training pot, it’s wired in and very secure. However it does bounce around when it’s real windy or when I’m moving it. I’d like to wire it up this fall. I’m thinking about putting a board up underneath it and securing it to keep it from moving while styling it. Actually I know that’s what I’m going to do, but I’m looking for is if anyone has any other suggestions or advice I would appreciate it. Thanks!D44BA279-F54B-4AB7-84B2-6210EA50F730.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think that is a good plan because you really dont want it shifting in the pot.
When you can repot it try to secure it better in the pot with wire if you can

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A board is only useful if you can screw the trunk securely to the board. Looks like there is not much trunk going into the soil and it is way over one side of the pot which usually indicates all the roots or most of the trunk underground are on the other side.
Screwing a trunk to a board requires that all the roots are growing above the contact point. Not sure what you will find under there but I would not get too attached to the plan in case the underground part won't co-operate.
Alternatives include a couple of stakes (wood or metal rods) from the right end of the pot to make a rest to tie the trunk to. Cross them just under the trunk and tie then secure the trunk to the structure which should give a secure and stable base while you work.

I assume this has been in the pot for long enough to recover from collection. Working recently collected junipers can end in tears.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A board is only useful if you can screw the trunk securely to the board. Looks like there is not much trunk going into the soil and it is way over one side of the pot which usually indicates all the roots or most of the trunk underground are on the other side.
Screwing a trunk to a board requires that all the roots are growing above the contact point. Not sure what you will find under there but I would not get too attached to the plan in case the underground part won't co-operate.
Alternatives include a couple of stakes (wood or metal rods) from the right end of the pot to make a rest to tie the trunk to. Cross them just under the trunk and tie then secure the trunk to the structure which should give a secure and stable base while you work.

I assume this has been in the pot for long enough to recover from collection. Working recently collected junipers can end in tears.
It was collected 4 years ago. This spring I moved it into this plastic training pot because the pot it was in was long and narrow, the top heavy tree kept falling over. It’s put on a ton of new growth. You’re correct about the roots, all of them to the right.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is what I would do, wood is blue, screws are green, wires are yellow. Protect the bark where securing the trunk to the brace, top & bottom.
View attachment 395437
Thank you for the detailed illustration. I knew something like this is what needed done but wasn’t 100% sure how to go about it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thank you for the detailed illustration. I knew something like this is what needed done but wasn’t 100% sure how to go about it.
Probably need to go around the pot and 2x4s with something to keep them anchored together.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
If wind is an issue, I would suggest putting the tree on the ground.

Or a simple bamboo or piece of wood. You can use rubber and wire to protect the trunk.

Screw wood to the Plastic pot.

Attachments

• D44BA279-F54B-4AB7-84B2-6210EA50F730~2.jpeg
    D44BA279-F54B-4AB7-84B2-6210EA50F730~2.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom