Question on olive tree bonsai

walton1993

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I really like the look of an olive tree bonsai. Unfortunately, there isn’t any bonsai nursery material available in where I live.

However, I did find a regular plant/tree nursery that sells olive trees (see image attached).

Would it make sense to create a bonsai out of this material? Perhaps air layering so the primary trunk isn’t too long?

Thanks a bunch!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No pictures are showing.
Added: If you go to your profile (click on your name top right of the screen) you can add your location so we know your local conditions and respond appropriately.

Back to your question: Yes. Ofen nursery material can get you a decent tree too. Layering and/or cuttings are roots, or sometimes digging down and chopping the head off can be a good start.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/nightmare-on-olive-street-warning-18-only-thread.38157/

Please try again putting a picture up!

walton1993

Seedling
Reaction score
Apologies and appreciate the feedback! The picture should be attached now.

As for location, I am currently in Indonesia (tropical country with only wet and dry season).80F860F7-8AB9-4182-927A-1131FBD0A873.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Those trees are not really very good for bonsai but if that is the best you can get and you really, really want an olive then that's what you will have to start with.

If you really think the top of the tree looks good they should layer OK. I have not had to do that with olives because if I want a new olive bonsai I just go out and dig a good trunk from the feral ones on roadsides or on a friend's farm. Your layer will still take a number of years for the new roots to grow and thicken and the trunks don't look very interesting to me. Your layer will certainly not have the great swollen trunk base that seedling grown olives develop.
I would not bother with layering. Normally the best part of an olive tree is the base of the trunk but these trees are probably cutting grown and may not have that swollen base like the seedlings we use here.

Be aware that olives are slow to develop. Whatever you start with it will take years to grow anything that looks like the good ones you have probably seen in pictures.

Reaction score
the documentation of my olive may prove useful for you

walton1993

Seedling
Reaction score
the documentation of my olive may prove useful for you
Thanks so much for sharing!

To clarify, is it correct that we can cut the bottom side of the tree (say a few inches above the root surface)? Does it need to have a bud below the cut or can a bud develop from a bare stump?

I see your post was from 2016. Would love to see any updates on your progress :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Olives are notorious for growing new shoots all over the base and from the roots. It is actually a pain because they need to be cut off most trees every few weeks but it does illustrate how easily olives will produce buds and they will certainly do so after a trunk chop, even if you cut back to bare wood and no shoots.
Cutting a few inches above the roots may be excessive. I usually leave a little more trunk to allow for carving dead wood features to disguise the chops because olives heal very, very slowly.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to the nuthouse!

You can also chop low and plant it upside down. The roots become the branches, I saw a YouTube video on this. I'm not sure how difficult it is to do or if the technique is beyond a beginner level (I'm a noob too). But is sure looks interesting.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Usually olives have a significant portion of interesting trunk hidden under the soil level. With this type of nursery tree you may be able to chop really low and plan a sumo type tree. You really need to check under the soil level.

Don't be afraid to chop very low, remove all unnecesary roots (even all) and let it recover for at least 2 growing seasons in good substrate with selective pruning.

walton1993

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the information everyone. Will visit the nursery soon and try to take a look if there are any interesting trunks and movement. Appreciate it :)

Reaction score
Yeah. Disregard the top and focus only on the bottom on those nursery olives.

Top Bottom