Question on Siberian Elm

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Has anyone ever tried collected Siberian Elm as bonsai. I have heard good and bad reviews. Anyone have experience with this type of elm? Thanks

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
David J. Rowe published an article on the development of a Siberian Elm bonsai in International Bonsai No.4 1999. He seems to have had good success. Any others with similar results as David's ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might inquire about how that elm is faring now. I've heard it was too much of a pain to keep up with...

Siberian elms are notorious for giving up large branches, but they're certainly vigorous...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might inquire about how that elm is faring now. I've heard it was too much of a pain to keep up with...

Siberian elms are notorious for giving up large branches, but they're certainly vigorous...

I have to agree. This Siberian elm has begun dropping the odd IMPORTANT branch for the last year or two and I've decided to scrap the project.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the input Rockm and Chris. These elms grow all over where I live. It always seems to be the case - whatever is most abundant in my area is poor bonsai material. I'll keep searching. I have a lot of eastern red cedars in my area too but don't want to deal with cedar apple rust.

I tried looking for Dave's email to ask him how his Siberian elms is coming along. I was not able to find his e-mail address.

Dave V

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the input Rockm and Chris. These elms grow all over where I live. It always seems to be the case - whatever is most abundant in my area is poor bonsai material. I'll keep searching. I have a lot of eastern red cedars in my area too but don't want to deal with cedar apple rust.

I tried looking for Dave's email to ask him how his Siberian elms is coming along. I was not able to find his e-mail address.

Dave V

Dave,
David Rowe belongs to the Mt. Arrowsmith Bonsai Club here on Vancouver Island and his email was/is? "djrbonsia@shaw.ca"
Cheers Graham

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone ever tried collected Siberian Elm as bonsai. I have heard good and bad reviews. Anyone have experience with this type of elm? Thanks
Shoot Grouper52 a PM I know he "had" ( a few years ago) a couple, he might be able to shed some light on the subject.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks, Graham and Rick

DaveV

Top Bottom