Question, reason for different color leaves on Trident

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
B0CAE918-4BA9-4D42-A70F-E86F7D3F7EF3.jpegEE7B0703-566C-4535-85A7-E56754D7975F.jpeg
Just kind of wondering, I’m new here and new to this craziness which I fell in love with approximately 6 weeks ago. Is it maybe the new leaves that are very young and hasn’t matured yet, because there are some other leaves that are mature and fully developed on the tree. Thanks for the time and input.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got some almost neon green in my maples this spring too. Right bitchin. They're normal now.

You sure it ain't an amur maple?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got some almost neon green in my maples this spring too. Right bitchin. They're normal now.

You sure it ain't an amur maple?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
No it’s a Acer Buergerianum, you can see some of the mature leaves on top right of pic

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weird. I swear to God they all mimic another at some point in their growth.

Sorce

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought maybe sun, too much... so I just took it out of the direct sun overhead and put into shade area, before on its sun pad with the others it gets roughly 8-9 hours of straight sun. I will put it in an area with only morning sun and will watch it for 2-3 weeks and see. But maybe not that because they say they can take a lot of sun. I will just test it and see, if not back out on it’s sun pad. I’m just really curious though maybe some of the experience on here could maybe answer.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You are correct: New leaves (red), maturing leaves, matured leaves

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon winter temps might effect spring color just like summer temps effect fall colors.

Mine is coming into regular color, and it's been getting eaten, and it's never grown well in it's small basket, and other things are wilting in this sun.

Too dope looking to want to make it go away!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When a new leaf is made, the parts of the leaf that make chlorophyll are not working yet, as they get going the leaf turns green. The green pigment is stronger than the red and so gets blocked out. In the Fall when the leaf does not need to produce chlorophyll any longer it recedes back and so the red becomes prominent again as Fall color!

Your maple is Trifidium, the most common.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The red in spring or new leaves is just a beginning stage of chlorophyll which evolves/matures green. You pay for that as a feature of a named variety.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 305892View attachment 305894
Just kind of wondering, I’m new here and new to this craziness which I fell in love with approximately 6 weeks ago. Is it maybe the new leaves that are very young and hasn’t matured yet, because there are some other leaves that are mature and fully developed on the tree. Thanks for the time and input.
That's a lovely trident. Might I ask where you got it from?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks perfectly healthy to me. The young leaves do not have a lot of chlorophyll so the anthocyanins are visible making them red..

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank y’all for the input, I was figuring new leaf development but really didn’t know. I was jumping the gun and thinking to much sun.

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When a new leaf is made, the parts of the leaf that make chlorophyll are not working yet, as they get going the leaf turns green. The green pigment is stronger than the red and so gets blocked out. In the Fall when the leaf does not need to produce chlorophyll any longer it recedes back and so the red becomes prominent again as Fall color!

Your maple is Trifidium, the most common.

I did not know that it was a certain variety, thank you for that input. I’m new to this but I’m learning a lot as I go.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are three kinds of chlorophyll, yellow, red, and green. They all support photosynthesis.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are three kinds of chlorophyll, yellow, red, and green. They all support photosynthesis.

Cool that you posted this. It made me wonder about what I know of chlorophyll. To me, chlorophyll is always green. (By definition, as chloro means green!). And I knew of 2 types of -green- chlorophyll. Turns out, that has been increased to four types of chlorophyll, all green by the way.

The yellow and red pigments are the caretonoids, which serve as some sort of pre-cursor in the photosynthesis process, by trapping energy and transferring it to chlorophyll, and anthocyanings

To read more:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The yellow and red pigments are the caretonoids, which serve as some sort of pre-cursor in the photosynthesis process, by trapping energy and transferring it to chlorophyll, and anthocyanings
The red color is anthocyanins. They get produced in a layer above the thylacoids and function as sunshades, reflecting the red light that the photocenters predominantly adsorb.

The yellow carotenoids are xanthophylls. They are incorporated into the second type of photocenters (PSII where water gets reduced) to divert adsobed photon energy away from the reduction site so the thylakoids don't become damaged by high levels of protons (H+). These are very important to alpine conifers. The cold temperatures of winter dramatically reduce the enzyme reaction rates, whereas the sun light level (rate of incoming photons) is little changed from what it is during the growing season.

I highly recommend Kahn Academy's course on photosynthesis (the same info is available in Wikipedia, but much more difficult to digest). Once that is understood, many open access scholarly papers (via Google Scholar) explaining stuff like anthocyanins and xanthophylls will make sense. It will be a deep dive.

btw, one can grind up their own tree leaves in a mortise and pestle, add a bit of high proof, clear ethyl alcohol, and then dip the end of a strip of white coffee filter paper into it. Different colored bands will appear representing the different colored compounds in the leaf at the time. Xanthophylls are difficult to see, unfortunately.

Also, anthocyanins were used for the original litmus papers - their colors change according to pH.

go nerds! 🤓

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The short version of this--new growth on trident maples (and many other maples and deciduous trees) can bee initially red from sun exposure--rule of thumb--the more sun, the redder it will be...Nothing wrong with it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The red color is anthocyanins. They get produced in a layer above the thylacoids and function as sunshades, reflecting the red light that the photocenters predominantly adsorb.

The yellow carotenoids
Why did you quote my post? Is this not exactly what I wrote? ;)

Top Bottom