Question regarding roots fusion

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Here is a Zelkova I screwed to a board;

View attachment 173060

The trunk is attached to the board by a screw coming up from below and into the base of the trunk. The green screws are positioning the roots. They sit beside the roots, not thru it.

View attachment 173061

As potted. A layer of bonsai soil first. Then the board, then an inch or so of soil. Then chopped spaghnum moss over the top.

What you did with your zelkova is very similar to what I have done with my kotohime except the roots adjustment with screws because the roots i had were very fine and fragile! Your tree already have a Nice base! How long have you been training the nebari with this technic?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What you did with your zelkova is very similar to what I have done with my kotohime except the roots adjustment with screws because the roots i had were very fine and fragile! Your tree already have a Nice base! How long have you been training the nebari with this technic?
It was an air layer. And I just started with the Ebihara technique when I did that. I should have cut back farther on the roots!

evanjt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was an air layer. And I just started with the Ebihara technique when I did that. I should have cut back farther on the roots!

When did your begin the Ebihara technique on this?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Adair M I have just bought a zelkova for a cheap price and it's going to be a reno job. Come repotting time I will start a thread maybe in a month or 6 weeks and I'd like to pick your brains on tips etc to improve the nebari and produce a nice broom. From the base it's an air layer - I can see the skirt of bark.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M I have just bought a zelkova for a cheap price and it's going to be a reno job. Come repotting time I will start a thread maybe in a month or 6 weeks and I'd like to pick your brains on tips etc to improve the nebari and produce a nice broom. From the base it's an air layer - I can see the skirt of bark.
Is it already an airlayer? If so, it will be easy!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wasted about twenty minutes reading this thread. Then spent another ten minutes after mashing the "show ignored content" part. Of course two of the most prominent people pop up. Sorce and Adair. Sorce wanting to apply is brand of redneck bonsai, and Adair wishing to apply his slavish adherence to Boon field trip to Japan saw it in the backyard without exposing the secrets technique.

While all the time knowing, that the real way to do this shit is to "do it". Let the chips fall where they may. That is real learning.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just wasted about twenty minutes reading this thread. Then spent another ten minutes after mashing the "show ignored content" part. Of course two of the most prominent people pop up. Sorce and Adair. Sorce wanting to apply is brand of redneck bonsai, and Adair wishing to apply his slavish adherence to Boon field trip to Japan saw it in the backyard without exposing the secrets technique.

While all the time knowing, that the real way to do this shit is to "do it". Let the chips fall where they may. That is real learning.
Smoke, perhaps you missed the photographs of my Zelkova?

Top Bottom