Question Regarding Screened Porch

Twainiac

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a screened in porch in my backyard that seems as though it would be an ideal place to display my Juniper, Japanese Maple, Chinese Elm bonsai. My only concern is the screen. While the area gets a good amount of sun throughout the day, the screen will obviously filter some of the light. Basically, if I were to build a shelf or put a bench on the inside of the screen, would that be a sufficient place to display my bonsai trees or would I be better finding a spot outside the screen? Below is a photo of the area I am considering...

IMG_4724.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The screen will filter out enough light that your trees won’t be healthy inside. Like Oso said, set up shop just outside, and put a display bench inside to rotate trees in and out of. Looks like a lovely place to spend the afternoon. I miss our screened porch something fierce.

Twainiac

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Darn it! I was afraid of that. Back to the drawing board. Thanks so much for the info!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great place to “display” the trees for a day or two, and to work on them, but growing is much better outside.

Top Bottom