Questions about a planted Mikawa Yatsubasa

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2022-05-15 Potted Mikawa.jpg

I was gifted a this tree last year. It was in a pot, and looked beautiful when I got it. We planted it in our garden, and it seemed to do well over the summer and into the fall when it lost its leaves (as expected). We watered it (until water drained from the pot) every 1-2 days depending on temperature. The place it is planted in the garden gets sunlight nearly all day. We have not used fertiliser.

This year, though, it doesn't seem like it's growing at all. I do see some red buds on it, but I would have expected leaves by now.

2023-05-16 08.04.42.jpg2023-05-16 08.05.01.jpg2023-05-16 08.05.17.jpg2023-05-16 08.05.26.jpg

Did we kill it by planting it? :(
Can it be saved?

Last edited:

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it looks just fine. We had a super slow spring in the PNW. I had a pinot noir vine just open up in the past week, as are my bald cypress. My maples are all open, including a couple mikawa yatsubusa, but I wouldn't be too worried yet. It looks like the buds are just about to open to me.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looking at the pictures from my phone, the green bark, and the red buds seem to indicate overall decent health. I’d be concerned if the bark was black or brown, and if the buds were brown and dry. I think you just need to wait a bit more.

Top Bottom