Questions about Bonsai's species options that don't require winterizing, any level of skill.

Anhosustali

Seedling
Reaction score
I have pretty good experience with bonsai, I have kept a few trees and have good success with experimenting with different techniques. I just got a job in the city and I am unable to bring my plants because I wont have the outdoor space to winterize them. I am in an area with pretty brutal weather so I'm not familiar with a woody species of plant that are used to never winterizing. I am kind of stumped with finding good options, like for example should I just do anything zone 10 and up? or is there some plants that naturally experience winter that don't require it. Here is some general information. I plan on focusing mainly on Keshiki or Literati due to its small size (so a conifer would be great), but I also want to build maybe two Tanukis so a good callusing plant would be nice. They cant require winterizing as I don't intend to freeze out my apartment for bonsai, however give me a few years and I might get there. Furthermore as it being inside I have limited light, in some cases just soft ambient light. I have a few places that may get 6-8 hours of light. I understand this is a tall order but I would hate to leave the hobby/or hobbies like it. Currently my best guess would be Yaupon holly or others in the Ilex, Pittosporum tobira or others in the family, delonix regia or others, grevillea robusta, grevillea rosemarinifolia or...., hibiscus schizopetalus..., some of the Neriums, butea monosperma, Calliandra californica, Melaleuca viminalis, and any of the crepe myrtles. Now I dont know the viability of these suggestions, or if anyone has had experience. Also as an last option I could work with a vine (like bougainvillea) and vigorously fight it. I know in landscaping they sometimes tree-ify vines. Thanks for the help.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You have 2 issues, finding trees that don't need frost, and finding trees that will thrive indoors. The former is easy, the latter far more difficult. Tropicals with grow lights will be about the best you can do

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ficus for sure. I’d also suggest Schefflera arboricola or dwarf umbrella tree. Pretty dang tough, and like ficus, propagation is super easy.

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Brazilian Rain Trees and Ficus are your best options.

Top Bottom