Questions about Wisteria bonsai?

Reaction score
Hell all Bonsai Nuts!

My name is Kellen I'm new to the forums and new to Bonsai as well. From San Diego, CA. I currently have one bonsai that was given to me about 2 years ago. Its a blue star juniper. So far i have kept it alive so i'm pretty excited about that. Hopefully i can continue to keep it healthy with the info i've read off the site and some books.

Anyways on to my question. I was also given this wisteria that has sprouted from seed. I've had it for about a year and i guess from what i was told it is about 3 years old? I believe it has been in the same pot for quite a while.
What are the possibles with this tree for bonsai? Is it even worth trying to use this tree for bonsai? I believe i should probably plant it in a much bigger pot or back in the ground to encourage growth, is that correct? I do realize that this is going to take probably over 10 years to even start thinking about bonsai, but i would like to get some pointers on what i should be doing to maintain the plant.

Any help would be great!
Thanks.
IMG_2166.jpgIMG_2167.jpgIMG_2168.jpg

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I had a wisteria about that size, and planted it in the ground 3 years ago. I built a trellis for it to grow up and onto our pergola over our back porch. Well it now has a trunk about the size of a softball, and it has grown up the trellis and across the roof of the pergola. And not just one long strand either. ALL OVER the roof. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I'm sure it will be spectacular when it does.

Plant it in the ground...and you can almost watch it grow!

-Troy

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Wisteria make fine bonsai:

1. After they are at least 15 years in a pot, and
2. In the spring.

At all other times, they tend to be a wild, unsightly mess and should be relegated to the back bench somewhere.

One of mine, a couple of years ago; it didn't bloom this year:

Attachments

• WISTE002.JPG
    WISTE002.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom