Questions and Concerns about my Ginseng Ficus

Reaction score
I'm finally at a stage with my ginseng ficus that I could actually do some styling and such with it. But since I am new to bonsai, I'm a bit hesitant to start hacking away at it.
IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1596.JPG
But I also have some concerns about its health. To me it looks pretty healthy except for the occasional leaf that starts crusting over and such. But it also has craters or crevices that are starting to appear in its trunk and I was wondering if there was a remedy to stop that from happening anymore, and if that was related to the leaves turning a bit brown and crusty just towards the edges.
IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1599.JPG
Any input on how to shape and style my bonsai, and also how to keep it healthy would be greatly appreciated.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not an expert but i think a ficus shouldn't loose so much leaves.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Scrape the bark around those crevices. It sounds like it's rotting but maybe not.

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but i think a ficus shouldn't loose so much leaves.
I just plucked those leaves off because they were getting crusty, and I left them on the top soil for no real reason.

Scrape the bark around those crevices. It sounds like it's rotting but maybe not.
How do I help prevent it from rotting more?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can cut the rot out until you get to live tree. Then you could seal it or you could just put some sphagnum moss around it and try to get new roots from that area.

I would put it in a new deeper pot so that all the bulbous base is under soil. Use well draining bonsai soil. Hopefully it would issue roots from higher up and you could cut the bulbous roots off. Either that or try make some aerial roots to cover the bulbous part.

Top Bottom