questions and ideas for a ficus.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this ficus Benjamin (still young) that is from a cutting of a plant I has growing on its side . It has two trunks and is connected by a .... Center trunk? That's under the soil. Pic down below.

I was thinking of using it for a rock planting and it would have the large to be root connecting the two trees. Agen like the pic below.

What do you guys thing? Would this work or should I cut them apart in the spring when I replant it?

Attachments

• 20160205_181515.jpg
    20160205_181515.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20160205_181336.jpg
    20160205_181336.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 53

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest.. If it is a young cutting, I would let it grow a bit. Not sure what the climate in Main is. But ficus can take a lot of time to get mature. And if it is a cutting, you can do anythign you want. So follow your heart, and expect a decade before you hame something interesting..

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pic for size.

Attachments

• 20160205_220325.jpg
    20160205_220325.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 50

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe make some more cuttings and fuse them?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know people like to use raffia but I don't have any of that, also have duct tape too.
I have a ficus that I may try that with, I like the idea anyway. Olives are supposed to be good at fusing too.

I have no idea if this is viable for your twin trunk or even a good idea but could you maybe twist them together or are they too far apart?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know people like to use raffia but I don't have any of that, also have duct tape too.
I have a ficus that I may try that with, I like the idea anyway. Olives are supposed to be good at fusing too. I have no idea if this is viable for your twin trunk or even a good idea but could you maybe twist them together or are they too far apart?
I guess it's more preferable to use raffia i guess (the newer fusion project i used raffia), i also don't know if / what the difference would be if using plumbers tape and ducktape (i folded the sticky part, so it doesnt stick to the tree, i secured it with the wire).

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a ficus that I may try that with, I like the idea anyway. Olives are supposed to be good at fusing too.

I have no idea if this is viable for your twin trunk or even a good idea but could you maybe twist them together or are they too far apart?
Only an inch or 2 apart...

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So nobody thinks it would neat to keep them together. . One on top of the rock and the big root going down the side with the other growing out? Kept small.

Like it maby feel and kept growing or started a new growth off of the big root?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are going to fuse some 'trunks', I suggest that you first cut off the bark and cambium on the mating surfaces. If you don't, the growth of bark will tend to force the stems apart, which can only be counteracted by a rigid wrapping around the assembly which in turn means .... (you can finish this).

With the mating surface cuts the assembly can be bound with something stretchy so that the exterior surfaces can continue to expand. My favorite is self-amalgamating silicone tape that is sold in autoparts stores for radiator repair - it sticks to itself so no tying is necessary; it transmits vital oxygen to what is underneath but not let moisture out. That green gardener's tape is basically polyethylene will work and is cheaper, but you'll have to tie it off in some way (think clove hitch). Saran and the packing wrap used to bind up pallets of goods are also basically polyethylene which transmits oxygen, is a moisture barrier, and stick to themselves (but not truly self-amalgamating).

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So nobody thinks it would neat to keep them together. . One on top of the rock and the big root going down the side with the other growing out? Kept small.

Keeping them together and kept small is an option. Actually done as you describe properly it could look nice. Most of your answers have eluded to "getting them big" but I have seen some nice small sapling size plantings that are pleasing to the eye. Being connected like that people would also normally cut them apart for better growth as they consider 1 of the 2 a "sucker" that slows down the other. Again if you want to keep it small it still "can" be a cool planting.

Grimmy

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya grim I was think more on the small side.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I missed the tiger glass last time!

Good camo!

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotted this guy tonight into #8822 so I thought I'd show you all a pic of the root I was talking about.

Attachments

• 20160215_205846.jpg
    20160215_205846.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20160215_194811.jpg
    20160215_194811.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom