Questions concerning bald cypress.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple of bald cypress seedlings growing well indoors at the moment under a grow light. My plan was to move them to the landscape at some point. I have a small spring fed pool I thought might be a good site to plant them. This pool rarely freezes, even with the temperature hits 20 below zero F. My questions are: 1. would this be a suitable site permanently or near permanently in water? and 2. when would the appropriate time be to transplant them?
Thanks for any info.

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a couple of bald cypress seedlings growing well indoors at the moment under a grow light. My plan was to move them to the landscape at some point. I have a small spring fed pool I thought might be a good site to plant them. This pool rarely freezes, even with the temperature hits 20 below zero F. My questions are: 1. would this be a suitable site permanently or near permanently in water? and 2. when would the appropriate time be to transplant them?
Thanks for any info.
Yes, that would be an appropriate spot for bald cypress. They grow very well in and near a water source as long as it gets enough sunlight.

From my experience (South Louisiana) you can transplant in-ground at any time of year. Just don't drastically cut too many roots and you should be just fine.

Disclaimer tho, I'm in it's native range so I'm able to absolutely abuse this species and have it bounce back with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck!

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We froze down here in southern Louisiana for a couple days this year. Mine was still sitting in the tub of water, frozen solid and did just fine. I would only worry about it if it starts budding out and then it freezes.

Top Bottom