Questions, Fall / Winter Protection for a Bald Cypress?

SMJ76

Sapling
Reaction score
So I'm preparing to get everything ready for the coming months of fall and the winter thereafter. For now its getting into the mid 50s at night so I'm taking them onto the front enclosed porch of ours just to keep them on the warmer side of things.

My question is, I'm located in zone 6b in Pennsylvania, what is the best way to prepare a bald cypress for winter protection?

Here's what I've got to work with thus far...
I have two porches that are enclosed but pretty much uninsulated. The front porch is the one with pretty much no insulation, its from the 1930s and it can get bitter cold out there. The back porch, honestly, if I opened up the back door to the porch, within about 10-15 minutes you can wear a shirt and no coat out there no problem. I used to use it in a pinch to make selfbows when I was into archery a lot more than now, several years back. I figured that may be my best bet?... and that I could always put a heater back there on a timer that would kick on from time to time??
Then there's the basement. Pretty much unheated but its not bitter cold. It can be damp but we usually have a dehumidifier running down there. (of course this would be the opposite of the moist air a BC would enjoy!!)

I know of others who simply keep other trees inside of an unheated shelter beside their home, but I'm not to sure about what temps I need to keep my bald cypress' at? I've read keep them above 55 degrees, then I've read a little lower than that,.. etc. Obviously I don't want them to be in an environment where the temps will get into the freezing range, etc.
Use a small heater in an enclosed porch?...basement?... any ideas or advice from others who are in similar situations?

Thank you in advance.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Bald cypress, depending on their provenance, can be extremely cold hardy...Dirr rates them down to USDA zone 4 ( -30 F ). I know I've seen them planted along the lake front in Chicago- zone 5. If the tree were mine, I'd treat it like any other temperate tree, which means you want it to be exposed to increasing cold this fall, and that means frosts and freezes. As temps approach the mid to low 20's, you'll need to give it more protection, but only enough to keep it frozen but out of winter wind and sun. Options include unheated out buildings, or along the foundation of your house. Applying a heavy layer of wood chip mulch around and over the pot will protect the root zone (the part most sensitive to extreme winter cold). One thing folks new to the game have a hard time realizing is that their non tropical trees can freeze, and actually should be allowed to freeze and stay that way for months on end. Too much protection usually means an extremely early break from dormancy, followed by weeks or months of the bonsai two step- trying to give the fragile new foliage enough light (very hard to do in Jan-Feb) while protecting it from frost.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not do any protection until it gets to freezing. By pampering it now, you may be making it less cold hardy for the winter. Let it get lots of frosts before you worry about it. Mine has overwintered outside with no problems. If you have done late work on this, then I would consider a garage just to keep it from getting too cold, like in the teens or lower for long periods of time.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
too funny....

I wonder if you will do the opposite of what all the advice is this time? Hmmm....BC love warmth and humidity...I think I would keep it your bathroom all winter.

Last edited:

SMJ76

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice on Wintering these trees. I'll be sure to simply leave them out as advised.
Have a great weekend all! ;)

SMJ76

Sapling
Reaction score
I wonder if you will do the opposite of what all the advice is this time? Hmmm....BC love warmth and humidity...I think I would keep it your bathroom all winter.

Bathroom?..., No, I figured I'd try and find someone locally with a little space in their sauna so they'd feel at home there!

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep mine in a detached unheated garage. The temps usually are in the 30s in the garage during the winter, occasionally dipping below 30. Never had a problem.

SMJ76

Sapling
Reaction score
I keep mine in a detached unheated garage. The temps usually are in the 30s in the garage during the winter, occasionally dipping below 30. Never had a problem.

Thank you for your response.
I think the front porch of mine should be perfectly fine then, really quite the idea place after what I've read.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Repeatedly breaking dormancy is more of my concern in (zone 6-A), than cold.

Top Bottom