Questions for Kevin Willson

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
H all, we are making a video and spending a day with UK bonsai pro Kevin Willson in a couple of weeks. Normally we just make a film and hang it up. It occurred to me given the chance what would BNuts want to know from the guy. Kevin is known as a a master carver and he is going to rework a big old olive. So give me your input and well shoot the video andask the questions. Fire away. If it goes well we will be filming again with Peter Warren in July and we will do the same.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Got a hundred of em, but right now not one wants to pop out, great idea thanks.

Does he use fire, if yes for more than eliminating "fuzz", will he really burn it down then brush off to find whats left.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As much detail as he's willing to go into on what tools he uses and what time of the year he finds best for carving would be great.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do have a question.. Can I have this Yew Kevin styled that is still in the grow box :D...lol.

This yew has become one of my favorite bonsai. Whever I think of my favorite trees, this one always comes to mind ever since I first saw it. Truly one of the greatest yew bonsai in existence.

Rob

Attachments

• 1305925333[1].jpg
    1305925333[1].jpg
    90 KB · Views: 156

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
WOW, gotta agree with you on that one Rob.

Does he preplan, or even go as far as marking out the outline of what he is looking to do . On a tree such as shown above how much time goes into it, and how much can you get away with in a weekend sitting (thinking you wouldn't do all that work in say a weekend).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What led him to become so talented in creating deadwood with power tools? Does he have any pearls of wisdom for those of us with limited experience using power tools but are wanting to fully refine the deadwood on our trees? Thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great idea Phil. How about this:

1. Using power tools, it's possible to "create your own lines" on the tree, rather than following natural lines. How much do you try to follow the natural lines, vs. carve through them to create your own?

2. When carving, often times natural cracks appear after a few months of drying out. They don't always conform to the carved design...what's the course of action to address these cracks?

Thanks for the opportunity.

Reaction score
Questions for Kevin:

1 - Do you only work in countries that allow smoking in public places?

2 - How many sit ups do you recommend before working on a tree?

3 - Is it OK if the women that assist you don't have tatoos?

JC

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks

A note of thanks for the questions I will do my best to get you propper answers.

As for JC well, the first thing is that I would pay good money to see you ask him those quetions face to face, I would post that video.

The 2nd point is the lady you refer to is a multi award winning artist in her own right. Tracy has a collection of trees most would wet their pants over which includes Noelanders winning trees. Please dont judge people you dont know

Reaction score
Hey Basho,

Lighten up, if we can't laugh at ourselves we're taking life way too seriously!

JC

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Questions for Kevin:

1 - Do you only work in countries that allow smoking in public places?

2 - How many sit ups do you recommend before working on a tree?

3 - Is it OK if the women that assist you don't have tatoos?

JC

LMFAO!

Perhaps, "Have you ever styled a tree....upside down?"

Basho, I appreciate what you're doing and I think it's a great opportunity to address a number of questions that one person may not have thought of on their own. Personally I don't plan on working with any carving or deadwood for at least a few years, so I don't have anything to put forth. But I'm looking forward to your video regardless. :)

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These are the little things easily learned that can make big differences in how a tree looks.

Thanks for the effort Phil. Kevin as well.

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Update

We will be spending the day with Kevin Willson tomorrow. He will be answering our questions and we will be filming him carving a big olive.

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
video production.

The video should be ready in about 2 weeks but it depends on how much footage we get. Sometimes if the filming goes well we may end up with a 2 or 3 part film.

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
All done

We had a very good day with Kevin Willson with an interview for you guys and your questions answered. We have shot over three hours of footage which needs editing down and will be ready in 2~3 weeks.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Loooking forward to seeing it Phil.
Thanks again for your efforts to get our input.
Shows a bit of class too after a recent bashing, good job.

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Kevin Willson Update

We have in excess of an hour of solid close up video after the first edit. That has taken a bit longer than planned because of the amount of good footag. This means that due to the restrictions of youtube we will have to post in sections. Another week will see it done and published. I will post one at a time and link over.

Phil

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I watched the first video yesterday. Awesome stuff! Thanks to everyone responsible for making it. Is episode 2 coming soon?

Top Bottom