Questions On Prunus persica var. nucipersica

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Friend of mine is done with a prunus persica var nucipersica “artic star” variety. It is a low chill hour nectarine designed for fruiting in the southern ca warm winters. It is a standard about 6 feet tall. I’m thinking about taking it to play with.

Questions, so the top graft is probably a weak grower for my location. That’s likely out.
What do you think the rootstock is and would it be appealing for bonsai? I’d imagine the rootstock is an extremely tough variety to withstand the heat of our summers. Ideas?

Sorry, no pics right now.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The thing to keep in mind is that the root stock can be anything from non-flowering cherries to fat plums, and everything in between.
That makes it difficult to be sure what to expect.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The nectarine scion wood, most likely will root if air layered off the understock. As Wires Guy said, the understock can be just about anything. In my area, where I have experience, Michigan and Illinois, Nectarines are quite hardy on their own roots. I do not know how they do in California heat on their own roots. Worth a try.

Peaches and by extension Nectarines, are not often seen as bonsai because they have larger leaves and somewhat longer internodes than Apricot and the much more refined Ume. Peach and Nectarines look better as larger size bonsai or "literati" styled bonsai near a meter tall or even more.

Peach blossoms are quite pretty, a soft pinkish purple, but the leaves are beginning to open by the time the peach blooms, and the leaves quickly become too large and out of scale. The "perfect moment" when the flowers dominate and leaves are small is quite short, just a few days. Where apricots and Ume give you at least a week or more to exhibit the tree in peak form.

I love a fresh tree ripened peach, I would be tempted to just grow them in the ground for fruit rather than mess with them as bonsai.

Top Bottom