Questions with Scots Pine "Jeremy"

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
All of my bonsai have been created from cutting down nursery stock save one collected Larch. Having said that I tend to look at stock like this in the same way I would look at it if it was my tree and I had to turn it into a bonsai. Look at the first picture in the series you posted above. You now have the one branch going off to the left and you have this large trunk tnat is in the center of the tree more or less. What can you say about this center trunk? I want to know what you think.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Well, I see the main trunk, some movement, good taper in general, but the branches are large, and originating forom radial nodes. Not ideal. Also, all the branches on this tree, are thicker than I would expect for its size and age...

On the right track?

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
I had some time looking at this tree last night, Its gonna be a challenge to get a natural looking tree out of this stock. I was drawn to the thick trunk, and short dense needles.
I looked at a couple ideas, neither of which will leave me many options to make this look good... Hmmm

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Absolutely! Not sure if I should have opened it up more, but these 4 sides will give you a better look inside... I hope ;)

The most practicle way of posting this tree was to go back to this post. You mentione that this trunk (the big one on the right) had nice taper and movement. I do not see it that way. I think this particular trunk is basically one width and pretty straight. It's hard to see what's going on with the branches at the point above the joint between the left and many trunk. I am still thinking removal is a possibility.
4B6217FB-9A2E-4BFF-800E-94B5EA661686_zpslplkblqb.jpg

3FFD3D3F-A726-4972-A9D2-B81BA0C078E2_zpsgcn7ydcs.jpg

76152144-0744-466A-932D-85F8EB848273_zpsg5rkmbqc.jpg

F267AAE6-27CB-4963-8CEC-726F56484D0C_zpsdyp8dasr.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have told you, and anyone else who will listen, that creating a bonsai is an exercise in cutting down material, sometimes drastically. What do you think happens to trees in nature that gives them the appearance we covet in Yamadori trees? Sometimes nature will provide you a tree made out of one surviving branch. When you have trees like this one that is bred to grow in this manner then you have to do things that thwart that tendency.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll take it! Serious!
I would apply some shoot cutting this year for backbudding. Scots pine will bud on old wood. Grow next year,do it again.
There is potential for a nice tree here. And it can be done. Time is what it takes. I imagine you could be looking for a pot to fit this in 4 years. By that time you will have learned everything you need to know to get it there. Pay attention to what Vance has to say. He is the one that knows the most about these trees here. With the exception of maybe Walter Pall or Bill Valvanis. Maybe.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Yes, I see what yuo are saying. My thoughts on taper, were if you followed the trunk past the next joint you refer to, all the way to the top of the tree. Movement is poor from this angle, better form the second photo in post 78. I know the trunk in the photo you reference, is pretty much a cylinder between, the trunk i cut, and the next higher joint. No taper.

So with that in mind, if the main trunk gets cut, that leaves the branch/trunk to the left in the picture you are referencing... My question when looking at it, is how I would position the remaining branch structure, to its best qualities... The main trunk could be jinned/hollowed forsure, and with the left branch now the new tree, I am trying to picture where to take it, and if the transition fro that branch to the main trunk can be made to look good. Seems all the branches on this on, originate from a common point alone its structure. I guess thats what most pines/fir/spruce do in nature so to be expected. I suppose the best thing I can say, is I dont know as much as I'd like to say I do, and am bowing to the experienced here to give me options, and some knowledge on the way.

I am trying to see the options, I'n not opposed to being drastic, not at all. Just dont want to start hacking, and then wish I had that last cut to do over again, if that makes sense.

I appreciate your help/guidance this far.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's good; don't do anything until you can see it. Don't do anything if you don't agree with it and don't do anything if you don't want to do it. Take time to consider options. I can't see the upper branches only you can. Even a video cannot reveal everything there is to know about this tree. Look at those elements and try to imagine what would happen with each and every one. What would you have to do if you had a magic wand and could make the trunk do this or do that and what would this branch do or that branch do. I spend hours doing that sometimes before I make a decision to cut. I'm not going anywhere much to the chagrin of some. Just joking

Top Bottom